1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

If you can count COVID- and strike-season numbers, you can count Negro Leagues numbers.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, there's an apt comparison.

3. Regan MacNeil

An old, white guy railing against Negro Leagues statistics. Can't even typecast that shit.

4. jr/shotglass

You can play that card until you're blue in the face, but I'm not borrowing your white liberal guilt.

Tony C0nigliaro had 849 hits in an 8-year career.

Josh Gibson had 808 in a 14-year career.

And your pearl-clutching will never change those facts. So have a nice "I'm Wearing My No. 42 Jersey" day.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Skenes through six in Detroit with a 5-2 lead. Closing in on 100 pitches.

6. Regan MacNeil

Good for you. You're coming off looking great in this. 10/10. No notes.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Those are the RECORDED games of the Negro Leagues. For sure all these men played in many more games lost to history, because they were outside of even the, uh, not too rigid, structure of the Negro Leagues.

Huggy and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Aroldis Chapman in for the seventh.
    Nine Ks for Skenes.

Last edited: May 29, 2024
  9. jr/shotglass

That is a good point. Of course, if it's that loose, the numbers can never tell the full story of the individuals. And that's what we're talking about here, the numbers.

Liut likes this.
  10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Don't know the significance of these purplish-blue Detroit unis, but they are awful.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Numbers are history, not mystic text. This is MLB saying, this is what we can document of the careers of players who were unjustly denied their chance at fair competition in our sport. They are for comparison, not "records" and like that.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I can't say I feel strongly either way. Other than to say the "sanctity" of the MLB record book has always been in question because the game was segregated. And it was further eroded by the steroid era.

franticscribe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted