1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Now they think it is the reverse.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Waiting for Trump to weigh in on the Negro League records being counted for MLB. I’m sure he has thoughts.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I thought it was Soros who was in charge ?

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Biden was Obama’s reverse ghetto pass. Biden owes black women voters for his presidency — “we know Joe and Joe knows us”.

wicked likes this.
  5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Biden was also good for Obama in white working class areas that were often warned about Chicago politicians. With Biden you got the "guy that rose the train to work" and was a little less Brooks Brothers and more "off the rack" so to speak. It was a very good dynamic they shared.

I remember they took a trip to some burger joint early in Obama's presidency and even the way they ordered food showed the little differing style. Obama was like..."I'll have a plain cheddar cheese burger, with lettuce and tomato (all while doing that side finger counting thing politicians do when they are listing something) and some sort of spicy mustard....Then Biden is like "gimme a swiss burger with extra jalapenos!"

In terms of VP's out of the loop. None was more so than Dan Quayle during my lifetime. If Quayle didn't struggle with spelling I don't think anyone would have known he was VP.

wicked, HanSenSE and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  6. HappyCurmudgeon

As my father-in-law said, "judicial term limits are complicated because they are all so fucking old and you'd have to replace a ton at once, but they can work if it's also placed at the Congressional level. Voters will be behind it 80-85%. Even people happy with their reps don't want fucking 15-20 term guys sitting around. The only people against it would be the Reps and the Senators, but the right President would say "fuck 'em" and keep it moving.

He said there would have to be like a 17+5 drop program for Supreme Court. Those currently serving over 16 years would be in a five-year "drop". So basically it at least goes through one presidential term, which allows justice appointees to be on the ballot for the 2032 election. The person that brings this forward in 2028 is going be very confident in getting re-elected because they will get like 7-8 judge appointees in that term. The hope is that it wouldn't be such a bunch of hacks. In reality judicial seats probably should require a 60-40 Senate vote to assure you don't get a complete schmuck like Kavanaugh in there.

The other thought process is that if you know you've got 16 years on the bench, you're less likely to do all 16 years. Some will leave after 10 -12 years because of age or health or whatever. The Supreme Court wasn't meant to be retirement home, but it's obviously become that.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The stupid and awful things that have happened over the last several years are too many to list. But among them is something I think is overlooked as particularly awful.

Because trump is such a uniquely unfit, disgusting, mentally ill asshole, the minions in the party and the far-right media had to desperately try to paint Biden as “just as bad.”

It’s so fucking absurd. Look, Biden is ancient. He’s a gaffe machine and fucks up stories. And if you’re conservative it’s easy to hate his policies. There’s plenty of material and I’m just scratching the surface. There’s a ton of baggage with a 50-plus year politician who’s served at the highest level.

But that’s the point. His real shit is out there. But because trump is one of worst living Americans, so too had to be Biden.

Gotta impeach him (they had less than fucking nothing). Gotta accuse him of rape (trump actually found guilty of sexual assault). Gotta accuse him of bribes and illegal financial deals (they have nothing and trump, well holy fuck).

As has been noted, it’s all projection. But the news silos make it fact for a way-too-large percentage of the population).

JFC, it’s Joe Biden. Long considered a Joe Schmo career politician. Affable if not long-winded and doddering. But his actual faults aren’t enough for this evil band of anti-American fuckwits.

Anyway, I’m rambling. I know it’s “politics” but in this case it really grinds my gears.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. HappyCurmudgeon

Does anyone think these summer debates will actually happen. Will Trump need to get convicted in this NYC case for this to happen?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sarah Huckabee Sanders sent 40 Arkansas National Guardsmen to the Mexican border. Tornadoes raked the northwest corner of Arkansas, killing eight and leaving thousands without power and hundreds without homes. She sent two (2) Arkansas National Guardsmen to help.

Driftwood and Jesus_Muscatel like this.
  11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

That bleepin' bitch.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Has she applied for federal disaster assistance yet?

garrow and Deskgrunt50 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted