1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Nobody you know did.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

SHOCKING SHOCKING!!! Fatfuck refers to a Black contestant with the N-word

The MAGGATS of course will erupt in joy with Fatfuck "speaking his mind."

And they never bought a n***r winning, either.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I went to my first Juneteenth in 2002 at Jefferson Patterson Park in St. Leonard Maryland where descendants of enslaved people from the area gathered to celebrate. I was there as a reporter and for a white kid from the Midwest, fresh out of college and who grew up in nearly all-white towns and went to nearly all-white schools through high school, it was completely unfamiliar to me.

But it wasn't new or unfamiliar to the people who had gathered there, and they'd been marking the occasion for many years.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

“Do we think Donald Trump is guilty? We’ll ask Dan and Dave following this commercial break.”

6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

No way this dipshit didn't accidentally get someone pregnant during his life.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I grew up in Virginia in the 80s and 90s and we were never taught about Massive Resistance, and the plan to prevent integration by simply closing public schools, so I am not at all shocked that we weren't taught about Juneteenth, either.

gingerbread and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Juneteenth has been a celebration for some people since 1866.

But it was a niche thing, and it was largely forgotten for decades at a time. It was revived during the civil rights era, and Texas made it a state holiday in 1979.

But what I said wasn't wrong. It was virtually unknown to the majority of the country, until there was a movement to elevate it in the late 2010s, which led to it being turned into a national holiday in 2021.

Fred siegle likes this.
  9. Justin_Rice

.. because white people were writing the text books and the school curriculum.

10. Justin_Rice

That quote is from a historical marker I stumbled onto when I was walking around Denver last summer.

I grew up in Stafford and went to Stafford public schools my entire life. We never learned a word about Barney Ford.

This is Civil War History central. We've got streets named after Lee, Jackson, Hood, etc. Nothing that honors Barney Ford.

I can't quite put my finger on "why" ...

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It was a regional celebration. There are a lot of things like it -- some very important to the lives of a group of people -- that have been forgotten or were really important in one place, but didn't enter the consciousness of people in other places. We have turned it into a holiday to celebrate the end of slavery, but June 19th was actually the day when Major General Grander ordered the final enforcement of the Emanicipation Proclamation. ... in Texas. The act itself isn't what Juneteenth became about, either. It became a day of church gatherings in the years afterward. And the celebration was largely unknown for the longest time outside of Texas and the south.

There were states -- for example, Kentucky -- where people remained enslaved for months after June 19th, because they had their own specific history of emancipation having been carried out. Their stories were important to various people, too, but got lost to history. In some cases, black slaves weren't freed until the reconstruction treaties. There is a separate history there.

I'd say yeah, maybe this is white people having scrubbed history if it was more of a universal historical moment similar to the kinds of things kids learn about in schools, and everyone just ignored it. But there are a number of regional stories LIKE the story of Juneteenth, that were largely forgotten, and it's not like the Emancipation Proclamation itself was scrubbed from history.

It's great that we have elevated it into a catch-all to celebrate the ending of slavery. But at the time, it's not like the country as a whole saw June 19th as a historical moment of note. It was an act -- a general signing a piece of paper in Galveston, Texas -- that gave rise to what were very regionalized celebrations until we recently elevated it into the symbol of the ending of slavery.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Let's not overlook Jim Crow keeping Juneteenth from expanding into something bigger.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted