1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I guess that wasn't interference in the Yankee game last night, either ....

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That one was.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

So glad you clarified that for me. Understanding the rules and their enforcement is so critical for recliner umpires.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So what level do you ump? Must be at least tripe A with how smug you are. No doubt you have no feel for any game you officiate.

Make sure you do not comment about any professional athlete as you’re just a recliner athlete.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'd still be most concerned for pitchers.

We had a teen-ager lose an eye a few years ago at Pennsylvania's Keystone Games (mini-Olympics). Line drive back at him. I wasn't there, but the scene caused a healthy section of the onlookers to lose their lunches, I'm told.

JC likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’m in a softball league for players age 40+ and we use wooden bats. Apparently before I started playing, the league used metal bats and finally stopped after a third baseman had his nose broken by a line drive.

Every now and then, someone will hit a long drive to 30 feet or so short of the fence and veteran players will comment that the ball would have been long gone with a metal bat.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was playing some pretty serious A ball softball in the mid 80's (we even got to wear steel spikes! remember how cool that sound was spikes on concrete?) when there were aluminum bats but they were only marginally better than wood bats. As a SS, defense actually still meant something. Then the double-walled and ceramic bats came out and it was all over. The balls were flying out everywhere, the only role I had was either "cut 2 or cut 3". It ruined the game and I retired.

I love the wood bat rule for you, its probably more of a two way sport now.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

If true, it explains the behavior by Lopez. That and they're the Mets.

But seriously, I hope his kid is ok.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I shall be at Oriole Park tomorrow and Sunday, ready to bring the good juju. Gonna be a sick weekend.

tapintoamerica and jr/shotglass like this.
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Elbow surgery for both Wells and Means from Baltimore.

Alek Manoah heading that direction.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Aranda? Caballero? Rortvedt?

Who are these guys?

FileNotFound likes this.
  12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The fact that the Rays are .500-ish with their C team in the lineup really is fairly remarkable.

Draft saved Draft deleted