1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 2, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Squeeze Play feed off to an inauspicious start. Imagine Santa not showing up on time.

2. dixiehack

Coastal up 4-0 on Vandy. Wofford up 2-0 on LSU. Feels a little basketbally early.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

LSU started 3-12 in league play and won four of its final five regular-season series. But I've got to think that winning four straight in the league tournament got them in. Is this the only team in the field that played its way to an at-large bid through its conference tourney? Or are there others I'm forgetting?

4. dixiehack

Maybe they needed to win the Tuesday play in against Georgia to be secure. But Bama lost the same day, went an identical 13-17 in league and got in as a No. 2. Florida was in that same grouping. So I kinda doubt it.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There might have been a couple of teams that did it in reverse, like Louisiana-Lafayette winning the regular-season Sun Belt title and then crapping out in the tournament.
    Like @dixiehack said, I think LSU locked up its spot by beating Georgia but it was probably going to get in regardless. They were iffy in April and then got hot enough to get where they needed to be. A 35-40 win SEC team (they were 35-20 heading into the SEC Tournament) is hard to keep out.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So is a 28-win SEC team, apparently.

Batman likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

OK. Did not realize all that. Thanks.

8. dixiehack

While we are on the theme, Georgia down 4-1 to Army.

9. tapintoamerica

Now 4-3. I suspect the Dawgs ain't done hitting and that the Black Knights aren't throwing their ace today.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

ECU losing to Evansville would be hilarious.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

LSU hits four solo home runs in the last three innings, including a walk-off by new postseason legend Steven Milam, to survive 4-3 against Wofford.
    Milam hit two home runs today, and this was his second walk-off in the past three games. He has eight home runs this season, and four of them have been in the SEC and NCAA tournaments.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Evansville deserves to win simply for this:

Draft saved Draft deleted