1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Same thing TCU did last year. Smith can’t pitch to teams in purple.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Virtually the only offense A&M has is Longhorn fielding miscues. Aggies finally lead in the top of the 11th.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The go-ahead play was weird. Third baseman couldn't snag it before it hit the bag.
    This one, like so many others in this event, is about running out of pitchers who can throw strikes.

Liut likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Aggies win, salvaging a merely poor day for the SEC instead of an outright disaster. 4-7 record Saturday, with Bama and Vandy in the 2-and-cue club.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

JMU shuts out and eliminates South Carolina, winning the matchup it should have won on Friday.

I admit I'm sort of stunned at the overall athletic success JMU has enjoyed since going big-time full-time by moving to FBS. Football team was excellent, men's basketball made the NCAAs, WBB made the WNIT, softball was competitive, baseball is in a regional final.

I know their admissions standards are lax compared to Tech and UVa and for recruiting they're a lot closer to Virginia's metro population than Tech, but I'm still surprised. ODU, George Mason or VCU haven't come close to matching JMU's overall accomplishments, even with fluke FF appearances by GMU and VCU.

Maybe they can recruit better because Harrisonburg is pretty and JMU feels more like a "real college" and not a commuter school like VCU, ODU and GMU? Been a long time since I lived in Virginia, maybe Cosmo or someone can weigh in.

I probably still just picture them as an all-women's school, like Radford, which they were when I was in Virginia as a college kid.

maumann likes this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Man, Arkansas beds hitting all over Baum the past two days. Down 6-1 to SEMO in the 8th.

Liut likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

So long, Arkansas. Gonna be a lot of empty seats in Fayetteville tonight and tomorrow.

9. Inky_Wretch

I don’t think KSU will let it get to Monday. But there is a line of thunderstorms headed our way.

10. micropolitan guy

Raining all day in Microville but Tulane and Irvine played, Irvine won and now plays OSU. I have tickets for tonight's game but after a spring of sitting through game after game of rain and cold I'm not up for it tonight.

Got a little heated at last night's game between some fans from each team. The weather should cool those tempers down a little.

They honestly should postpone tonight and play tomorrow, by which time this storm will have passed through. Parking can get tricky on gamedays when classes are in session, but it would be better than sitting through a steady drizzle all night.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We're at that stage of the weekend where things get weird on the pitching front. LSU used its best reliever for six-plus innings to pull its ass out of the fire against Wofford, and Southern Miss had its closer start and go seven innings against Indiana.

poindexter likes this.
  12. micropolitan guy

And Carolina's # 3 starter implodes and LSU is kicking the crap out of the Heels. Gonna be a big Monday in Chapel Hill and Greenville.

Draft saved Draft deleted