1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 19, 2024.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I love this tradition more than I should.

playthrough, MileHigh and HanSenSE like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I know next to nothing about hockey, but props to the Oilers for keeping the same pretty good logo --- with seemingly only a small color change --- like since, forever.

Screenshot 2024-06-03 at 10.19.23 AM.png

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The TV ratings thing with the Stanley Cup always amuses me. At its heart, hockey is still a pretty damn niche sport and randos aren't going to tune in just because big-market teams are involved. Even when you had a Rangers-Kings Final in 2014, the overall rating for the series was only 3.0. Having the Final on TNT/TBS last year was a pretty big factor in it only averaging 1.3, not helped by the matchup. I mean, yes, you get more viewer if it's a bigger market, but you're still getting -- at best -- half of what the NBA finals are getting. ABC/ESPN would be smart to push a McDavid narrative like they're pushing Caitlin Clark. He's a superstar finally getting a chance on the biggest stage. That has to be the focus.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Gee
    +1
    However, ESPN radio's priority is pushing the NBA finals.
    After work last night, checked it out in the car. Stayed with them for about 15 minutes and scanned on.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Yeah I’ve always liked the Oilers sweaters and logos. With the exception of the period where they switched from orange to copper, that wasn’t my favourite.

This series has got me oddly excited. I really haven’t cared about a Final at all since the Bruins were last in it five years ago. Not that it affects my life at all but it’d be nice to see McDavid get one, and Bouchard’s a local kid too.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

And I imagine there’s a logical reason why, but I hate that the Final doesn’t start until Saturday.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I would have been most intrigued by an Oilers-Rangers finals, and would probably not have watched a ton of Stars-Panthers.

But I'm pretty hardcore on board for Oilers-Panthers. You have McDavid, and the fact that the Panthers are such a salty team. Can't wait for this series.

misterbc likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

IMO when you have a logo that the greatest player who ever played your sport wore, you should strive to never change it.

FileNotFound, Sea Bass and HanSenSE like this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am going to punch a kitten if Edmonton just rolls right over Florida after what the Panthers did to the Rangers.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

FileNotFound, misterbc and Liut like this.
  11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

ChrisLong likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted