1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Marty McSorley clubbing Donald Brashear.

(Which was sort of ironic, because if you asked me at the time to name the player most likely to lose his shit and whack someone over the head with a stick I would have picked Brashear without question.)

Big Circus and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  2. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

I still haven't listened to any ESPN Radio talk show since they ditched Kornheiser for Cowherd. Biggest downgrade since Phil Bengtson replaced Vince Lombardi. Regarding Cowherd, I don't understand the appeal. He was unwatchable and unlistenable as a local sports anchor in the 1990s. He still comes across as the same smarmy, know-nothing know-it-all (which is the worst kind of know-it-all) who would root avidly for the bully in the schoolyard fight just to try and prevent his own ass from getting kicked.

Captain_Kirk and Jesus_Muscatel like this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It always boils down to one thing with the WWL. Do they carry the sport in question? Then they make a fuss over it.

Jesus_Muscatel and I Should Coco like this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

After 28 years I think it's fair to say that the WNBA can't do anything right.

5. PCLoadLetter

The WNBA is fine.

The discourse around it is moronic.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I’m sure he’s followed it for years and has a real good handle on what’s gone on over the past 10 years.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Except it's never turned a profit.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've mentioned that 30 Rock clip many times over the years here. It was awesome. Sports Shouting
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2024
  9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Diggin' the Phil Bengston analogy. Had total respect, as a grade schooler, junior high football player -- in Texas, no less -- for Vince Lombardi and the Packers.

Then my family moved to Metro D.C. and I learned to properly hate the Minions of Satan in Dallas.

Cowherd's a front-runner. Tony's show was a real hoot, and I lived about 25 minutes from the office, along the Gulf of Mexico. Good listenin' ... Colin had me on his show in the early days, and his producer was kind of a moron. He's pushy, you're right, not that knowledgeable, just knows how to TALK FAST ...

When I stumble into ESPN Radio now, I can't believe how bad it really is. Keyshawn, J Will and Max? Long gone, not forgotten. "Unsportsmanlike ..." ?

As Grady Wilson of "Sanford and Son" fame would say, "Goo goodley goo ..."

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Bingo.

11. PCLoadLetter

So…

NFL
    MLB
    NBA
    WNBA
    COLLEGE BASKETBALL
    COLLEGE FOOTBALL
    COLLEGE BASEBALL & SOFTBALL
    F1
    UFC
    TENNIS
    PGA
    UFL

..plus about half the European soccer leagues on ESPN+.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

NHL too.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted