1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Jesus, I was looking at players who hit a home run in their first major league at-bat. That's what I get for posting with tired eyes. Thanks.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Just catching up to this, as a guy who spent years building a stats database for every NHL game from 1917 through 1986 - with gamesheets and news accounts to help me - I can only stand up and applaud those who laboured to make this a reality. The amount of work here and the lack of source material would dwarf what I did.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
  3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Guess this was coming sooner rather than later. Hope he throws tomorrow; I'd like to see what he has. But I'm a little concerned about what this means in regard to Kyle Bradish.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Bradish didn't look right on Saturday. Sure, he struck out six, but that's because Tampa strikes out. He walked three, gave up seven hits, couldn't command his sinker, was leaving everything way up in the zone. I'm hoping for the best and that he might just need additional rest. He didn't look hurt to me, but he was up in the 70 pitch range after three innings and there was no way Hyde was taking a chance with leaving him in.

As good as Suarez and Irvin have been, I worry that there may be a little Jorge Lopez effect going there. Irvin's ERA is more than a run less than his career best. Blip, or a guy coming into his own at age 30? We're probably about to find out.

5. jr/shotglass

From what I saw, I would think Trevor Richards, Toronto's "opener" last night, should be in some demand going forward. His change -- which he throws more than 50 percent of the time -- is damn near unhittable. It nose-dives.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When that pitch is working like it was last night it is an awesome weapon. If the Jays are going to be sellers, as it looks like they should be, Richards and Yimi Garcia, who has been fantastic out of the bullpen, can definitely help teams down the stretch.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Questioning Padres manager Mike Shildt.
    He had 36-year-old Donovan Solano playing first base. He's 5-foot-8. Twice he had to jump to catch throws and the batter crossed the base before he landed. That includes a play in the crucial seventh inning when the Angels scored 3 runs to break a 1-1 tie. The game-deciding hit by Zach Neto sailed over the head of left fielder Jurickson Profar, who was playing so shallow it was like deep shortstop. The ball landed on the grass in front of the warning track and bounced twice before it hit the wall. On Monday, the key hit was by the Angels' Jo Adell, who lined one over the head of Fernando Tatis in right. Granted, Adell hit a rocket and it would have been a near-impossible catch had Tatis made it. But he was shallow, too, against the Angels' top power threat.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not disputing your point about last night’s game … but your post reminded me of my teenage years playing “Babe Ruth” league baseball.

At 14 I was the same height (6-foot-1) as I am now (and a bit lighter …). Anyway, our coach automatically thought the tallest player on the team should play first base, so he stuck me there, in theory, to snare all those high throws.

Problem was, Babe Ruth league was the level (ages 13-15) that went from Little League sized fields with 60 feet between the bases to high school sized fields with big infields and 90 feet between the bases. So I would guess 95% of the errant throws coming my way were short of the target with nasty bounces. It was a steep and painful learning curve trying to scoop them!

ChrisLong and maumann like this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Solano has played 1B second most of all his positions in his career.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I only brought it up because those two plays definitely affected the game -- the second one especially -- and the Angels announcers mentioned it.
    They did not mention that the Angels have also used 5-foot-8 Willie Calhoun at first base this season ... recently when Schanuel was hurt for a few days.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Now Altuve at first base …

12. jr/shotglass

Don't be throwing high, gang.

Sounds like Skenes and Ohtani are having quite a battle tonight. First time up, Skenes strikes him out on 101-100-101 fastballs. Second time up, Shohei puts one over the center-field wall.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted