1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My wife has family in the area and from what I understand, it’s not that surprising.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

How big is that settlement? You could hire a couple of newspaper reporters with that money!

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Go look at the comments under social media posts about including Negro League stats in the MLB record book. Hoo boy.

Neutral Corner and Webster like this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No I don’t think I will.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Smart call. Yikes.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Unless the statute of limitations has run out, this guy is a prime candidate for a federal civil rights prosecution.

EDIT: It hasn't.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

This is some remarkable, overt, 1964-ass racism here, from a community where about five years ago almost all the boys in the senior class threw up a Nazi salute on camera.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

That's assault.

Not surprising. Baraboo's the home of Circus World.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is a race-related discussion of medical students and their acceptance into the UCLA medical program in recent years -- in sort of reverse-racism circumstances. It is fascinating, if horrifying in terms of health and safety, and rather worrisome, in my opinion. It's also something that rings true, just based on discussions that have occurred in our family involving my niece's boyfriend, who once wanted to be a doctor, until the wait for acceptance into a program -- yes, he applied to UCLA -- became too long because he was a white guy who kept running up against just such diversity-driven issues. He now works in a job combing Human Resources and IT at a pharmaceutical company.

https://freebeacon.com/campus/a-fai...utlawed-in-california-have-persisted-at-ucla/

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You lost me with a link from the Washington Free Beacon.

No one stopped your niece’s boyfriend from attending another well-respected medical school. There are a bunch out on the West Coast. I wanted to go to Harvard. My grades didn’t get me in. That doesn’t mean they’re to blame for me not becoming an investment banker.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Reverse discrimination is a falsity driven by looking at things narrowly and an easy conclusion. What proof does your example or you have that he was denied admission because he was white?? Have you seen what % of whites are in CA? What % of whites are in the UCLA entering med class? Where is the proof that the admissions committee said “no can’t admit him because he’s white”.

Is it discrimination when the white guy gets to study in college with all the tutors he needs, never worries about how to pay for tuition/food/tutors/shelter or even the application fees but the person of color has to worry?

Let’s just assume everyone has the same starting line and cry reverse discrimination. Race based criteria has been outlawed in CA for at least 20 yrs(?) under Prop 209.

Find another reason to explain your/the failure to get admitted/the job/success. I’ve seen the system for 60 yrs and I’m sick of the excuses.

BTW why would more people of color being drs who got admitted lead to a health crisis? Maybe drs with worse test scores would be better, safer doctors.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted