1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

True, and the Yankees' schedule is about to take a turn here. Next four series are vs. the Dodgers, at KC, at Boston and vs. Baltimore.

Orioles' schedule about to toughen up a bit too. Series against the Yankees, Phillies and Guardians coming up.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Phillies have been amazing at home. But they've also played 8 more home than road games. That of course has to even out in the next four months.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Still 17-10 on the road and that’s after a 2-4 trip to Colorado and San Francisco.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

A's is worse

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I tune in to a lot of different broadcasts b/c I like to bet the NRFI. So I'm tuning into a lot of first innings.

Broadcasters I like:

Bellatti (Tigers) -- but not a Gibby fan
    Schambi (Cubs)
    Mets regular team
    Hershiser (Dodgers)
    Brown & Co. (Pirates)
    Schulman & Martinez (Blue Jays)
    Palmer (O's)

Meh:

Guardians guys
    Sterling & O'Neill (Yanks)
    Steve Stone (White Sox)

Can't stand:

Reds guy
    Braden & whoever (A's)

Rest either forgettable or I haven't watched enough.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

As a Dodgers fan I have to disagree on Hershiser. He has great baseball knowledge, but he talks too much and he's too much of a homer.

He doesn't cheer like Hawk Harrelson, but he tries too hard to compliment Dodgers players. A pitcher gives up a home run and it's "that was a great pitch, it just caught too much of the plate." Or after an error "What a fabulous effort to get to that ball" (which went right between his legs).

I don't need criticism, but I don't want fake praise. I was spoiled by listening to Vin Scully all those years, who always stayed neutral.

The other team I watch a lot is the Angels. Wayne Randazzo is a great addition but Patrick O'Neal, who fills in when Randazzo does national games, is the worse announcer I have ever heard. Total fanboi with no knowledge of the game and no pace to his broadcasts. You can tell the difference in commentator Mark Gubicza when he works with the two. He's much better with Randazzo.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
    maumann and MileHigh like this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I watch a lot of games too, I like Kruk and Kuip in SF, Orsillo and Grant in SD (when it doesn't turn into a yukfest) and Sims and Blowers in Seattle. Not crazy about the White Sox, Royals, Rockies crews.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

When the Orioles have their "A" team with Kevin Brown and either Palmer or Ben McDonald, it's pretty damn good baseball commentary.

But with Brown and McDonald doing college in recent days and Palmer taking a hiatus, the dropoff is very noticeable. Brian Roberts and Brad Brach are not first-class color men.

I caught some of Schulman and Martinez last night. They're very comfortable, too, and they don't play "homer" to the point of irritation.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Wholeheartedly agree on the Orioles' broadcast team. Massive dropoff from Kevin Brown to Geoff Arnold.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Rockies crew has been dreadful for many years.

Huggy likes this.
  11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Degenerate!!!! :D

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

This is a classic YMMV post, but if Randazzo was half as good as he thinks he is, he still wouldn't be very good.

Huggy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted