1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

*barges in on OrioleSJ.com*

I think we've all been doing this long enough to recognize that when a team says a guy w/a recent UCL injury is getting extra rest but not for health reasons...it's for health reasons. Hope I'm wrong here.

jr/shotglass and tapintoamerica like this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    “Extra rest” is a health-related move. Especially when they won’t say if and when Bradish will pitch again. He’s like the rest of them: a ticking time bomb. Just a matter of when.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The bar is very low in Anaheim. I don't think they have had a decent TV play-by-play guy since Dick Enberg.

swingline and MileHigh like this.
  4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

He's worse than a ticking time bomb...he's a grenade without a pin. There aren't many guys who come back from a UCL injury w/o surgery. Only ones I can think of are Masahiro Tanaka about 10 years ago and Mike Hampton with the Astros way back in the late '90s. And Hampton's went after a few years.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

But they have real Colorado values!

MileHigh likes this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is why nobody should give up more than a mid-level prospect for Mason Miller.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

There are a couple of irritating things about Randazzo and Gubicza.

Randazzo is a know-it-all, but, dammit, he does know a lot. The irritating thing is lapsing into a comfort zone, i.e. O'Hoppe is the regular catcher, so Randazzo says O'Hoppe did something even in games when Thaiss is catching. Same with Taylor Ward in left field. Randazzo will say Ward catches the fly in games when he is DHing and Kevin Pillar is out there.

If Gubicza would just eliminate "tough play" from his vocabulary, he would be fantastic. EVERY freaking play is a tough play. "That was a tough play ... they mowed the lawn left to right today so the ball took some funny bounces." It is every play. Unfortunately, O'Neill picked that up from him. O'Neill adopts what every real announcer says and tries to make it his own. He is a clown who isn't even suitable for sideline reporter duties.

MTM and MileHigh like this.
  8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Saying the DH caught the ball in LF isn't a comfort zone thing, it's being lazy and not doing the work. But that's Randazzo, who always half-assed it in NY b/c he had eyes on other national gigs. Enjoy Apple TV, absolutely nobody watches you there.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Giants Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow are pretty good together. They have a great chemistry, know their stuff and don't get too homerish. They tend to be a little soft at times when the when the Giants are dreck, but they're good.

Jon Miller is still quality on the radio as is Dave Flemming. Miller is just getting on and is losing something on his fastball and Flemming is good, but generic good.

But the problem is their A team (Kruk and Kuip on TV, Flemming and Miller on the radio) hasn't been traveling as much and they call in former players who normally do banal pre and post game commentary on TV to fill in and they aren't great. They also have the minor league guy come up and he has one tone for everything. It really is a hard listen.

And now that you have gotten way too much about the Giants' broadcast team, you may carry on.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I will also add that I am so glad I don't live in Southern California any more. Anytime I caught an Angels broadcast, I wanted to hurt someone. I don't know if they've changed people since 2013 when I moved, but my God they were straight trash.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Oh, my!

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I thought Cade Povich was quite competitive for his debut. He got two pitches up, and that accounted for five of their six runs.

By the way, Justin Turner's numbers are not good, but don't think that he's over the hill. The man can still rake.

In his prime, Jon Miller had as comfortable a delivery as anyone short of Mr. Scully.

Draft saved Draft deleted