1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 10, 2024.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The 9/28 Louisville at Notre Dame game on streaming only, via Peacock. Can't remember a ND home game that wasn't available on a linear platform. Conflict with the Olympics probably?

Boise State-Oregon and the Apple Cup on Peacock only. That's a kick in the ass, especially for the Apple Cup. And Washington's first two home games are on Big Ten Network.

Not sure that's what they expected.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GO2QFmYasAACEcZ?format=jpg&name=large

Last edited: May 30, 2024
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Central Michigan at Notre Dame last year was Peacock only.

3. micropolitan guy

That must be why I didn't watch it. :)

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Latest deal with NBC and Notre Dame calls for one Peacock-exclusive game each season. I didn’t realize the Mountain West had any sort of deal with NBC.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

ESPN announced a bunch of game times today.

Red River Rivalry goes from 11 a.m. CDT to 2:30 p.m. CDT.

Colorado opens on a Thursday night on ESPN, then Saturday night at Nebraska on NBC, then Saturday night at Colorado State on CBS. Season finale is a 10 a.m. MST kick on Black Friday.

6. micropolitan guy

I saw this today on John Canzano's column:

Last Thursday, the NCAA settled a lawsuit with several states that challenged it in court. Under the agreement, the NCAA will grant an additional year of eligibility to Division I athletes previously deemed ineligible under the transfer eligibility rule since the 2019-20 academic year. That means Utah quarterback Cam Rising — who transferred from Texas — will get an eighth year of college eligibility if he wants it. Is Rising coming back in 2025? The door is open. Can’t wait to ask Kyle Whittingham.

That is crazy. He graduated from high school in 2018. No one ever envisioned EIGHT YEARS of college eligibility.

I didn’t realize the Mountain West had any sort of deal with NBC.

It doesn't. Boise-Oregon is a Big Ten home game.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The pendulum has swung to a comically absurd degree.
    I overheard something about one of the players in the UNC-LSU game -- don't know who it was -- that perfectly explained college sports in 2024: "A sixth-year senior playing for his fourth team."

If you're not happy with your playing time, you can quit and resurface somewhere else. No questions asked.
    If you're not happy with your financial compensation, you can quit and resurface somewhere else. No questions asked.
    If you have graduated from somewhere and don't feel like taking any real classes as a "graduate transfer," that's OK. That "core principle" about college sports being reserved for degree-seeking students is apparently on the books but not being enforced.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

So what?

In the rest of the world barring a contractual obligation you can quit your job for any reason and get a new one. Why should college athletes be any different?

As for college sports being for degree-seeking students that requirement was effectively dropped a long time ago. If you were talented enough the school was going to keep you eligible.

FileNotFound and PCLoadLetter like this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

North Texas has a sharp logo, but it might be the most counterintuitive one in Division I this side of the Miami U.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This one?

upload_2024-6-5_20-31-44.jpeg

12. micropolitan guy

[​IMG]

I heard the other day that the Pac-12 schools who are leaving the conference as of 8/1 are still eligible to fill spots in Pac-12 affiliated bowls. Not sure if this is true or not but the person who told me is an excellent source and said it's a very little-known fact about the settlement.

Draft saved Draft deleted