1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Clarence Thomas turns 76 on June 23.

Tick tock.

Let me remind everyone that Thurgood Marshall has himself to blame. He punched out while GHWB was president and died 4 days after Clinton's inauguration.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I hope Biden is doing this on BookFace too, where the marks all hang out.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A nice toasty 108 this afternoon in Phoenix. But it's a dry heat, so pay no attention to all the people passing out due to dehydration. Next stop, San Francisco for a night event. What's wrong with this candidate?

garrow likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

Also, this happened today.

garrow likes this.
  6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

113 today. So far.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The other justice GHWB picked wasn’t exactly a dyed-in-the-wool conservative. I’m sure that was part of Marshall’s thinking.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Every criminal case at the state level has potential to raise federal constitutional questions if the defendants individual rights - that are both protected by the constitution and incorporated to the states - are implicated.

Assuming you're talking about Trump's trial, this is one of the things I thought Judge Merchan handled extremely well. His on the record rulings on a number of matters either closed off or made it extremely difficult to raise certain appeals. He was really careful throughout the trial to limit the potential appellate issues from having success.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'm talking about Bannon's contempt conviction.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

My bad. He's being held in contempt in federal court so there is no need for a federal question. SCOTUS has appellate jurisdiction, if it chooses to exercise it, on the basis of being the ultimate court of appeals for the federal system.

Federal questions are only required for SCOTUS to have jurisdiction over state supreme court decisions.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

Wish a part of Bannon's sentence was spending the first day of school at Sandy Hook Elementary.

Draft saved Draft deleted