1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I figured it was something like that. The number just threw me.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

One of the things the right complained about is how the Saudis were let off the hook even though most of the hijackers were from there. What did Trump do? Continue to let the Saudis off the hook, hell, he sold access to them. Don’t understand why he hasn’t gotten heat for that.

garrow and Mr._Graybeard like this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

GWB and Obama both realized this fact and both blamed the madrasas that weren't "directly" under Saudi crown control.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Horse puckey. The House of Saud funds hard core Wahabi madrasas all over Saudi Arabia, and "private Saudi funds" have done the same in Pakistan and Afghanistan. They sponsor a vary fundamentalist, rigid interpretation of Islam.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I appreciate the thoughts and agree on a lot.

Part of the argument was that as soon as the wars were lost, a lot of war supporters claimed to be anti-war and replaced the rhetoric used for Middle Easterners to illegal immigrants. They found a new enemy at the gates, resurrecting Pat Buchanan-style nationalism to the paranoia of the Bush era.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Its interesting to think that Republican presidents always seem to need to play up an "enemy" early in their presidencies - its a solid strategy. By identifying a "bad guy" you become the "good guy" in comparison. Nixon had his enemies list, most of his were domestic, Reagan had the "Evil Empire", HW Bush had Noriega and Hussein (who he bequeathed to W) and Trump had "illegals." In none of these cases was there a "singular" event which made them obvious choices. In some cases they were former allies to the US, or at least served our needs internationally.

Meanwhile, when Dems take over the WH, their chief "enemy" is typically an economy in ruins.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I often wonder how different the entire world would be if a county in Florida hadn't ratfucked an entire election.
    9/11 maybe still happens, but the response to it isn't the same.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

One big difference. Gore would not have invaded Iraq.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think Palm Beach County’s ballot design was more about dumbass decision making that opened the door for state-level officials to apply the screws.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That and the R's who are busily trying to hang the blame for the bad economic numbers on them.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

1. Always amazing to me that those upset about Iraq, Afghanistan and Katrina would ever vote for the GOP
    2. Trump deserves blame (but not credit) for overturning Roe v. Wade. Any GOP president with an assist from Moscow Mitch would have gotten those justices in place. That Trump motherf*cker wouldn't know the difference between a SCOTUS justice and the Justice League.

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted