1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Caitlin Clark being there over Diana Taurasi going for a sixth time would mean not a thing for the success of the team. Nor would neither of them being there, and the roster being an 11-person team.

The success of the team is not in question.

JC likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sorry, but been around sports too long to think anything is guaranteed. That's why they play the games.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

USA basketball needed Clark in Paris (for the attention) more than Clark needs USA basketball.

JC likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I want to understand your argument...you believe concern over losing was the primary concern with leaving her off the team?

I think you're making a point tangential to the actual question at hand. I'm not sure Taurasi is is among the best 12 players in American women's basketball. I think she's there for historic "it's her sixth Olympics" standing.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If you're arguing Taurasi vs. Clark, works for me. Nothing wrong with a little discussion.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

They worried how Clark’s fans would react if she didn’t get enough playing time, so they left her off completely. Yeah, they’ll be fine with that.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Remember, MAGA has already declared their furious non-interest in watching the USWNT -- Griner and all that.

They believe she should still be in prison in Russia for daring to get uppity with Dear Uncle Vlad.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Taurasi hasn't been very classy when talking about Clark over the past year, and any fanfare over a sixth Olympics (not that I've seen her in any NBC ads) will be overshadowed by all this. I'm good with that.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

*originally posted in the Olympics thread*

Lotta middle-aged Twitter users with goatees and sunglasses railing about this move today, especially since they appear to be giving a Lifetime Achievement Award to Diana Taurasi and a bunch of other America-hating lesbos like Brittney Griner.

I fear that Clark is going to be yet another log on the fire of the culture wars, as she's straight (dating Fran McCaffrey's son, even), a practicing Catholic and from a red state.

What if, after going full bore through the season in Iowa into immediately getting beaten on by everyone in the WNBA, everyone just gave her a break? She very well may be one of the 12 best Americans but she may not be one of the 12 best choices right now. Gonna make a comparison. In 2004, immediately after his first NBA season, USA Basketball shoved LeBron on to the Olympic team where he averaged 5 points in 11 minutes on a team that got embarrassed. The 48 Special didn't come until his fourth season. It's OK to let Clark grow.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I totally want the Caitlin Clark heel turn.

She looks in her ancestry and finds she’s 1/32 Mozambique and joins their Olympic team, pours in 44.3 ppg for them and leads them to bronze.

Make. This. Happen.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

As excited as I am to learn about the Mozambican sub-culture of Des Moines, you don't even really need that. Another Iowa standout, Megan Gustafson, somehow got a Spanish passport while playing in Europe and is playing for them internationally. She's from Port Wing, Wisconsin on the Lake Superior shoreline and about 10 miles or less outside our coverage area (though we mention her from time to time).

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Megan couldn’t and can’t jump over a sheet of paper. The Bryant Reeves of the women’s game.

War Jolene Andersen. War South Shore Cardinals. War Hurley Midgets. I’m out, Jim.

UPChip likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted