1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Honestly there should be. I heard on the NC State game that there has only been one comeback of 10-plus in 30 years in the tournament? I could have heard that wrong. But no one needs to suffer through a 24-4 game, much less the players and those involved. Wash it off and get ready for the next one.

I went to a Junior College World Series game last week and there was a run rule game, which I wasn't expecting, but it was sort of refreshing once it happened. My kid would have wanted to stay for the whole thing and I don't know that I needed to be out there for a 15-run, four-hour game! I guess this was the first or one of the first years that tournament started doing it.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I actually covered one such game. Big South championship game between Liberty and UNC Asheville, down at Coastal Carolina in 2006. LU went up 11-0 in the fourth inning, ended up losing 16-11. Just finally ran out of pitching. That was a somber group to talk to afterward.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I guess we are all (most) Evansville fans for the next 24 hours

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

All?

5. Della9250

That's why I put most in parentheses

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Would be nice to see West Virginia wins a championship in … something … before college sports implodes. Instead UNC makes it as the third ACC team to Omaha.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

All-ACC/SEC College World Series is looking very possible.
    Virginia: In
    * FSU: In
    ~ UNC: In
    * Clemson: Must beat Florida 2x
    NC State: Needs 1 of 2 at Georgia

Tennessee: Plays Evansville in winner-take-all
    Florida: Needs 1 of 2 at Clemson
    Georgia: Must beat NC State 2x
    ATM: Needs 1 of 2 vs. Oregon
    Kentucky: Needs 1 of 2 vs. Oregon State

* Actively committing treason/secession
    ~ Whining but not yet committing treason/secession

Six of today's eight winners scored exactly 10 runs.

8. Della9250

Did Clemsoning shift to baseball?

dixiehack likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Can't really accuse them of gagging after the same dude hit a game-tying HR in the top of the ninth and made a Willie Mays catch to extend the game. And it was a tremendous game.

maumann likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

At one point (the 10th I think?) Clemson sent a pitcher off the bench for his first at bat of the season. Dude tossed his bat away thinking he’d drawn a walk when it was called strike two and his coach had to call time so he didn’t incur a pitch clock violation. Then he proceeded to take a borderline pitch and be surprised when he got rung up.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

How’s the No. 1 ranked team that everyone is rooting against doing?

BTExpress likes this.
  12. Della9250

I meant more like losing 2-0 to literally the last team in the field as a six seed

Draft saved Draft deleted