1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports content coach, Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HanSenSE, Jun 11, 2024.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm puzzled as to why they would need a sports content coach when in large part, they don't allow the locals to actually do sports.

If one of our local Gannett outposts has anyone actually doing sports, it might be one or two articles a week.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This sounds like a nightmare job. Like coaching a DII women's soccer team bad.

SixToe likes this.
  4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

From what I've been told, these Content Coaches have such a horrendously large stable of papers and writers they are working with, there's really no way to devote the time needed to help any of them. And at least some of those have absolutely no contact with the individual writers, instead dealing with the on-site coaches/editors at each particular site. I've heard tales of writers wanting to establish a line of communication and get to know their Content Coach, only to be told they are forbidden from contacting them.

Add in the lack of knowledge for most of these local markets, the prohibition of travel and expenses that many (most?) of these Content Coaches are having to lay down, as the go-between from the corporate overlords and the individual sites, and it's a job where you're basically unable to succeed.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A simple thing like putting together a daily newsletter looking at some of the output - highlighting what worked and what didn't, maybe having a "mailbag" - and sending it out to everyone wouldn't be a bad idea.

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

That's an expense, and expenses are verboten at Gannett ... :D

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Love this word salad:

This position is remote and can be based anywhere in the US, except for Alaska and Hawaii or based at USA TODAY headquarters in McLean, Va.

So can you work out of USA TODAY HQ or not? I think the answer is yes, but I’m not sure.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It’s especially confusing because Gannett sold the headquarters building in McLean a few months ago.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Do they not have Internet in Alaska or Hawaii?

Although with what Gannett pays, you sure can’t afford to live either place.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's really unfortunate because I'm sure a lot of us at this point in our careers would have so much to offer as mentors, er, coaches. But one person for 100+ newspapers, really? Analyzing metrics for all of them? Ugh. If they had a dozen sports content coaches, assigned to geographical areas, then you'd have better chances to succeed.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The time zone difference would be a legitimate obstacle.

RonClements likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not for the people in India doing McClatchy papers.

Then again, maybe working at 4 a.m. is how you get "Kalipari" headlines.

HanSenSE and cake in the rain like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted