1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

poindexter and HanSenSE like this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Paige Bueckers will likely get a similar reception next year. She's similar to Clark in many ways except not quite the same super long shooting range, and she's somewhat thinner. I'm sure opposing defenses will say, "if beating the hell out of Clark worked, we might as well beat the hell out of Bueckers too."

Actually I think the default defensive strategy at all levels of basketball when facing an opponent new to your league who previously has been an offensive star running wild at a (presumably) lower level has ALWAYS been to rough them up -- see if they can take it. Whatever the defenses are doing at the lower level obviously isn't working, so bump 'em around and see what happens.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He said this 10 days ago on DP -- and he's right.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Geno is right, of course. But look at the image with the tweet. The Las Vegas Aces sold all their season tickets weeks ago. Would it kill someone to use an A'ja Wilson image with a story like that?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Paige won't. She'll get a better one. She played at UConn. There's a giant group of UConn players in the WNBA who will welcome her and look out for her. That's the advantage of going to UConn.

That's what Clark forfeited when she chose to play at Iowa instead of Notre Dame. She has no older allies in the league.

It's a larger issue than has been covered so far.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Weeks ago, you say? Like 8 weeks ago shortly after the draft? Or weeks going back to December when the Fever won the lottery? This has been known for a little bit where Clark was going…

7. BTExpress

The Aces selling out their season tickets had little to do with Clark. They led the league in attendance the year before, are a multiple champion, have a two-time MVP, and being in a different conference, only host the Fever two times.

There ARE other stories and factors in place out there. And occasionally pointing those out might be a good idea.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Lynx-Aces game last night was really good basketball. Fast pace, lots of long range shooting, sellout crowd. That's a really good product.
    It was on NBA TV.

I'm to the point where I would take a typical WNBA game over a typical MLB game without even thinking. The younger me would have laughed at that thought.

BurnsWhenIPee and franticscribe like this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, Bueckers still has somewhat of the skinny preppy-girl look, the sorority girl who was driven to camps by daddy, etc etc etc. I'm sure not much of it is true and just from watching her on TV, she's a hell of a player, but she'll still catch some resentment as a "great blonde hope" powered by the media (including the internet -- remember, Bueckers was hyped on YouTube videos in junior high school.)

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Professional athletes have been hazing rookies from any and all schools since roughly forever. Nobody’s playing a half-step off because their opponent has the UConn Seal of Approval.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I was pointing out the fact you said weeks but it's been a little while since Clark was drafted. Sure, Vegas can sell out absent Clark.

Which brings me to another thing. You are saying how a Tweet should have a picture of someone other than Clark. The only Tweet I see here talks about attendance league wide and not just Vegas. Am I missing something?

12. BTExpress

I'm saying when choosing an image you CAN choose somebody other than Clark (instead of pressing the easy button like everybody else does).

I'm saying a photo of Wilson WOULD be appropriate since the Aces are setting the attendance standard in the league and she's arguably the best player in the league.

Draft saved Draft deleted