1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 10, 2024.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

So basically these programs are non-profits.

Or banks, depending on your viewpoint.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

23 of the Top 25 are going to be in the Big Ten or the SEC next year. Clemson and Louisville are the two non-Power Two schools on the list. The SEC and the Big 10, who are already rich, are looking at big revenue increases due to new television contracts which will cover the costs of the House settlement (though I don't think Washington and Oregon will receive full television shares).

Basically everyone else, whoa re locked into far less lucrative television contracts and is already being subsidized by the school, will be in big financial trouble.

4. DanOregon

I'm still of the opinion that there is a finite amount of money out there for college athletics. Yes, you can move it around, give more to the bigger schools - may as well do another partitioning so D1 between the SEC and BIG 10 - the rest of the FBS - and FCS at this point.

I'm not sure it is "better." It was always headed this way - but I loved cfb when schools were stocked with 80 percent of their roster from their region. When a fan could actually feel some attachment to a team whether they went to the school or not.

Lt.Drebin and Neutral Corner like this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Two things that go together perfectly ... Bad Boy Mowers and pinstripes.

The Snoop Dogg Bowl made me laugh too.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

We can safely rule Army and Navy out of the Camellia Bowl, since they play each other that same day. But the Camellia and Celebration Bowl (de facto HBCU championship) are the only two bowls playing on a Saturday before Christmas.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No idea what Transperfect is, but I have a feeling Clay Travis is already preparing a rant about it sponsoring his hometown bowl game.

11. DanOregon

Did someone say "Centralized Athletic Departments?" I mean, when you think about it, having one Asst. AD be responsible for say, women's soccer, gymnastics and softball for all the conference schools "would" save money.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Goin great!

Mandatory Lil Wayne concert the 'final straw' for some Colorado football transfers: CU source

Draft saved Draft deleted