1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's a bit dated, but still a classic. Spielberg is pretty good. Worth the time.

It's fixin' to get pretty damn hot here. I have a sneaking suspicion that depression out in the gulf is going to get a bit bigger and dump a lot of rain on Houston. Florida is on what, day four of catching hella rain.

I think that it's going to be pretty hard to disbelieve in climate change after this summer.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I not only saw 3-D in the theater, but I paid for two tickets because I took a girl on a date.

I was too young to see the original in the theater, but saw both 2 and 3 there. I've seen it about 99 times, though. I even have a Captain Quint t-shirt. I was super disappointed a while back because we have a theater in town that shows old movies for $5. They had Jaws a while back, but I couldn't go.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The local movie theater shows Jaws weekly during the summer. It's often in a double bill with "Their Finest Hours" which is about a famous shipwreck rescue that took place offshore in the '50s It's like weird. This is a seaside resort town, so let's show the summer tourists two movies that'll have 'em thinking they'll spend their next vacation in Nebraska.

OscarMadison, Batman and Driftwood like this.
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I almost jumped out of my movie seat when that shark popped up out of the water. Like when Carrie's hand came out of her grave and grabbed Amy Dellaney.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Hurricane's a coming!"
    "We better evacuate."

"Climate's a changing!"
    "Well, tell somebody to make it stop."

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Really? I knew a guy who was going to propose when Jaws came out of the water during the Universal tour.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The highest lightning activity in North America right now is not associated with Alberto, but is located in Southern Ontario and Western New York. The heat dome is strong.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know people and buildings and everything else is geared different up there, and the heat index will be 100-plus which is legit uncomfortable, but hearing the governor of New York talk about "unprecedented heat" and declaring a state of emergency for mid-90s heat is freaking hilarious.
    Down here in the South we call that Thursday. I'm planning to cut grass tomorrow because the high is only going to be 92 and it's probably the last time until September it'll be that low.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Throw in the fact that we've had one day with about 15 minutes of light rain in the last month.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

But you've nailed it. When I lived in Flagstaff, most apartments/houses didn't have air conditioning, because it rarely got above the low 80s with less than 10 percent humidity. The amount of 90-degree days is ticking up there, so I don't know how much that has changed.

I was in London in summer 2019 when the temps were in the low 90s, and it was full-blown panic there because it just doesn't get that hot there and the infrastructure isn't built to handle it. I remember sweating my way miserably through the British Museum, which was not air conditioned. It was brutal.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Conversely, if you watch some of those reality shows in Alaska like "Life Below Zero," you'll see those folks outside in a just a hoodie and pants when it's 30 degrees - a temp when I'm wearing a fleece and my heaviest coat plus long johns if I'm going to be outside for any length of time. It's all about what you're used to.

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted