1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The whole City of Oakland-A's ownership pissing match is a master lesson in how not to negotiate in good faith, or even how to bluff well. All logical solutions and reasonable efforts to compromise have been rejected by a greedy billionaire because he doesn't want to spend a dime of his own money in a shakedown of public funding.

St. Petersburg, like so many other municipalities, is spending taxpayers' money -- or tourists who are taxed like crazy in Florida -- on a project that a couple of rich Goldman Sachs guys don't deserve. I have respect for Sheng Thao and the Oakland City Council for telling Fisher to take his toy somewhere else, even though it's a sad thing for the actual real fans of the franchise.

There is a significant group of people in the East Bay who have stayed true to the team despite what seems like a never-ending line of carpetbagger owners who have treated them like less than dirt. When the Giants played at the 'Stick and weren't good, the A's were a reasonably cheap option, particularly with a BART station. With Oracle Park, interleague play and a team with little hope of actually keeping or spending money to get better, why would anyone care if the A's leave town?

Manfred is a spineless jellyfish who is bound and determined to kill the sport he runs, so obviously he thinks Fisher is automatically deserving of a sweetheart deal. A pox on their houses. Maybe there's an abandoned tomato field on I-5 near Woodland where his team can play, or even better, Lodi.

I would have loved to have seen a ballpark built on the old Alameda Naval Air Station property. Yeah, the traffic would be horrendous and the wind would be terrible. But the view of the massive ship terminal cranes would be spectacular. I loved when Mythbusters would go out there for segments.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
    Baron Scicluna likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, if it's one thing the Mariners need it's another guy who strikes out about 35% of the time.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

For all their offseason moves to reduce strikeouts, the M’s are whiffing even more this year. Nineteen of them last night, with three hits.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Angel Hernandez spirit lives on. Ump show.

x.com

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

6. micropolitan guy

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I believe the Cubbies just lost Jordan Wicks for a while. He goes out 28 pitches into his start in obvious discomfort.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

What are the “M” caps women in Wrigley’s front row are wearing?

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Ohhhhhhh boy

10. micropolitan guy

Lifetime ban if true he bet on baseball, right? If it's good enough for the players ...

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Mentioned on another thread: Arguably worse than an athlete. I don't bet on sports or have sports betting apps anywhere -- and I'm only at the high school level for football and basketball and DII part time for football.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Players get one year for betting on baseball. It’s lifetime if you bet on your own team, I believe.

How that would translate to an ump, I don’t know.

Draft saved Draft deleted