1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

Didn’t hear anything in the press box proper. The media room is where the TV techs hang out during a game.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Speaking of cheering in the press box, I do remember being in the Auten Stadium press box in 1991 or 1993 when BC was playing Notre Dame, it was on all the TVs because kickoff was still about two hours away. Some left-footed (I think) dude from BC kicked a final-play field goal to win and the place absolutely erupted with cheers.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

That is normal, to hate Notre Dame -- no middle ground, you love 'em or hate 'em.
    One year I was covering UCLA in an NCAA basketball regional at Syracuse. Syracuse was playing elsewhere, I think it was against Richmond somewhere. Everybody in the Syracuse media room was rooting against Syracuse.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

At Cole Field House, first #15 over #2 in NCAA history, 1991 or thereabouts. One of Dick Tarrant's finest hours.

Liut and ChrisLong like this.
  5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

That was a Thursday game, UCLA played Eastern Michigan on Friday. It was weird having all of the Syracuse players back in the facility.
    Oh, and E. Mich. added to the upset list, beating UCLA that day in front of a Carrier Dome crowd that was overwhelming rooting for the Bruins to lose. It cost me a trip to Cooperstown, as I've mentioned previously on this site.

BitterYoungMatador2 and Liut like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

An NFL press box on a Ryder Cup Sunday morning is not a study in muted tones and emotional reserve.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

It was 1993. Notre Dame had just beaten Florida State. My recollection was that the left-footed kicker made Hoyt Wilhelm, Wilbur Wood and Tim Wakefield envious with his knuckleball ... but upon video review, it didn't change direction all that much.

Liut likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I had the same experience in a stadium on the East coast.

9. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

The week after Notre Dame beat Florida State in a 1-2 Poll Bowl game. The kicker was the son of Howard Baldwin, then the owner of the Hartford Whalers.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Romi? Romi, where are you?

HanSenSE and Roscablo like this.
  11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

He's Trump-ian in his ability to be a complete asshole to the media and get the attention he wants. About as successful at what he does, too. That's not fair, Trump would kill to go 4-8 at something. But the Colorado press corps should just not cover him. What's the point? He's a carnival barker and they're not going to compete for shit.

MileHigh and jr/shotglass like this.
  12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

He went after the Denver Post today too. The CBS thing seemed to be the national network and he took it out on a local affiliate, but can't totally tell.

As for Romi, she is amazingly absent from CU stuff, especially with media day taking place. How that all ties in, and yes she is also with the CBS affiliate, who knows?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2024
    MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted