1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Organized sports are a metaphor, and have been since Book 23 of the Iliad.

That we use them as symbols to talk about other things continues to be no surprise.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Caitlin Clark is 22 years old.

Twenty-damn-two

Just maybe there’s a little time for her to figure out pro basketball and her place in capital-S Society. I realize that doesn’t suit the needs of people who have invested in her here and now like it was shares of GameStop (and that she hasn’t been shy about dipping in the endorsement pool) but she’s barely an adult. Let it breath a little.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm naive, having been in my teens during Hamill's time and mid-20s for Retton, but things were slower and less politicized then vs. now. I blame Trump ... and soccer.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If it was politicized, where would we have heard the outrage? Rush Limbaugh was working for the Kansas City Royals.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Would have loved to know about the sides being taken in the Tonya v. Nancy stuff. Tonya was MAGA before MAGA existed.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. BTExpress

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Well, Harding WAS the more interesting story. And remember, Limbaugh wasn't a fan of Trump's until he HAD to be for business purposes - like most of righty radio. Prior to Trump, Rush was a big fan of elitism.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Saw this earlier today, which I think is an extension of the further discussion, a quote from Connecticut Sun guard Dijonai Carrington:

And that, I think is the core of her problem from the left. If she's being anointed to be the public face of the WNBA but tries to Jordan her way out of talking about, if not outright opposing, the issues of racism, sexism and homophobia that many of those players have to deal with on a day to day basis, there are gonna be a lot of people who have a problem with that. The concept of "intersectionality" bothers me and I think it's a big reason the left loses a lot of political debates in this culture. It is a lot easier to be an "a la carte" Democrat than an a la carte Republican because you'll get cast out for not subscribing to all the various oppressed interest groups. Now, I think you could say that fealty to Trump is also a sine qua non in the Republican Party, but I'm not sure he believes in anything other than his own immunity and general assholery.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Did Bill Laimbeer come out of retirement to coach the Sky?

10. BTExpress

Reese's reply was, well, unapologetically Reese.

"Basketball play."
    "I can't control the refs. They affected the game obviously a lot tonight. Y'all gonna play that clip 20 times before Monday?"

Never mind that a beautiful blocked shot by her teammate (a real basketball play) was negated by her headhunting.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

LOL

Women can't even get along in hoops, no wonder Roe was overturned.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Clark’s gonna have to get herself suspended via an elbow that loosens a couple of teeth.

Draft saved Draft deleted