1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

the kind that have a chance to win a fifth and sixth straight national title

how much more money per year are they getting now in the sec?

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I guess, but at some point doesn't there have to be a financial reckoning? OTOH, the college sports bubble has supposed to be busting for the last 30 years.

3. Della9250

you responded before I edited but what’s the difference in yearly revenue from sec money?

4. micropolitan guy

That I don't know. The department will have more money. But that won't be softball revenue.

5. Della9250

also a according to that like, the athletic department ended up making a profit

If they were in the hole that softball budget would be cut

6. micropolitan guy

Yeah, the football program makes everybody healthy.

7. Della9250

Right but it covers the cost of the softball shortfall.

I will be interested to see what the numbers are for this past year -- they opened their new stadium that is double capacity of their old one. That might cover a million of that loss

8. Della9250

OU played 29 games at its new stadium. I don't know what tickets cost but at just $10 per ticket for those extra seats and just $10 per person on concessions, at minimum that's an extra 1.1 million

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's gross profit, which doesn't account for expenses. What might the net be?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

FWIW, Jim Schlossnagle denounced them right at the start of his postgame presser.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Day 3 must have been a bullpen day for Team Drama in Omaha. Noles weren’t really challenged and Vols about to salt this one away.

12. micropolitan guy

I'm sure the expanded stadium calls for an expanded work force. Higher maintenance costs. Debt service.

Are Oklahoma's concessions in-house? If they contract them out, they're sure not getting 100 cents on the dollar.

Draft saved Draft deleted