1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I’ve got to think that if a certain Baltimorean had any interest in the job, Rowdy would be out on his ear but his role in all those 2004, 8, 12 and 16 moments probably ensures there aren’t many others who could take the job.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He has done TV and was absolutely awful.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Nic Fink swam for Georgia and got a grad degree from Georgia Tech. I didn’t know that was legal.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Even the saltiest Dawg will acknowledge that if you get out of Tech with a degree, you have put in some by God work.

da man likes this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I like Rowdy Gaines and have always liked him.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A dollar spent on a non-revenue sport is a dollar not spent on football or basketball. Would not shock me to see things like golf, lacrosse, volleyball etc. go into bake sale mode if that school isn’t a consistent Top 10 power in the sport, maybe even Top 5.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bizarre that most of the synchronized diving pairs have dissimilar body types.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I’m not surprised. (I feel like I should remember that.) I feel like, both from about 2013-15 and from 2017-present, there has been a lot of evidence that Michael Phelps has the skills and motivation for exactly one thing, which he no longer does anymore. To some degree it is an indictment of our American sports hero worship culture. He's never gonna have to work a day for the rest of his life, I just hope he finds something that is fulfilling and is able to grow as a person.

Yes, but Title IX still applies. So schools are going to have the (mostly male) athletes they have to pay and the (probably mostly female) athletes they pay to have. The non-revenue male athletes get dicked, but that's been the case for 30 years now, and universities will probably only exacerbate the arms race because 1. freedom of movement immediately penalizes anyone who falls behind and 2. schools will be desperate to bolster the parts of their budgets that actually create revenue.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

At first glance, I honestly thought those were retro "USAC" racing jackets from the 1970s. United States Auto Club ran open-wheel racing (Indianapolis 500, etc.) for anyone not into racing.

Typist Clerk and franticscribe like this.
  11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

All's well that ends well but the national TV proposal to someone who just exerted themselves at a world class level and finished second is quite the risk even before we mention how sheer that suit is appearing on TV.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Like good Indianapolis residents, we went to the trials tonite to see the spectacle. Pretty impressive.

In the semifinal heats for the 50 free, two guys tied for the 8th/final spot in the final, so they had a swim-off a little later. And then they tied again and had to go one more time at the end of the night. I'm not a big swimming fan but can't imagine that's happened too often.

Inky_Wretch and dixiehack like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted