1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is it in a nutshell. All the wasted words in the world don't change the fact that the predominant attitude in Gaza and the West Bank has always been extreme hostility (including violence) toward jews. We're where we are at today because of 60 to 70 years of them refusing to live peacefully near jews. ... and launching attacks and repelling any sincere efforts to achieve peace.

The "Hamas doesn't represent the Palestinian people" thing is just not reality. The same poll (and every other poll) shows that a majority of people in Gaza and the West Bank supported what Hamas did on October 7. Very few say it was wrong.

This is a place where the schools have long taught children that Jews and Israel should be eradicated. They glorify martyrdom in textbooks. There is a lot of ignorance-and religious idiocy-fueled hatred there.

None of that necessarily justifies the brutality of Israel's response after October 7; and you can easily argue that they have destroyed Gaza now to the point that the threat from there is severely degraded. But if people weren't so invested in creating the narratives they want rather than just acknowledging reality, they'd at least honestly be able to recognize that Hamas isn't just some fringe that is an anomoly in Gaza, and this isn't Israel acting completely irrationally. The typical Arab from Gaza wasn't riding in on a motorbike and raping and killing more than a thousand people, but they sure as hell weren't horrified by it. 60, 70 percent are like, "Right on!" This notion that you can work with that and magically ordain "peace" is absurd to me.

Batman and TigerVols like this.
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Wow.

Imagine thinking, feeling and polling this way, about Hamas activists who won't even so much as show their faces, even after all these months of terrible war/invasion and devastation. I mean, they started it, so they must have wanted it, but still...it's incredible.

And any young person who participated in a U.S. college protest on behalf of Palestinians because of a seemingly over-aggressive Jewish response, with or without western help, ought to know about it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Ragu is absolutely right here but the Gordian knot here is that just about all of the accusations leveled here can be played in reverse. Let me try, for the sake of the thought experiment:

Almost everyone in Israel seems to want to run Netanyahu out and yet the ongoing and persistent support for Likud demonstrates that a blocking minority, if not an outright majority, of the Israeli electorate believes Netanyahu and/or his allies are the only people who can defend Israel from an existential Palestinian threat and that they are tacitly willing to cede authority to them to act in their name, no matter what they do. Since Netanyahu first won an election in 1996, he's been in charge for 16 1/2 years (out of 28) and Ariel Sharon had another five, and the only thing that dislodged Sharon was a debilitating stroke. The Israeli left of Ben-Gurion, Meir and Rabin hasn't even been a thing, much less a legitimate electoral option, in more than a generation. Other than Ehud Olmert, who was brought down by his own corruption, any attempt to elect "Not Likud" in the last 25 years has been futile or a farce. In modern Israeli usage, "leftist" is a slur and a byword for a fifth column who would disarm Israel unilaterally.

None of that necessarily justifies the heinousness of the Oct. 7 attacks, and you can easily argue that the Jews are a persecuted class both in the micro locally and in the macro globally. But if totally unquestioned support for Israel were not a third rail in American politics for at least 50 years and hatred or suspicion of Muslims not ingrained into American culture since Sept. 11, we'd at least honestly to be able to recognize that thousands, probably tens of thousands, or people are being killed across all walks of life by the direct actions of the Israel Defense Force, most of them who have no connection to Hamas other than that they're figuratively being used as human shields. The definition of that last sentence is still genocide, and being the victims of a previous genocide does not grant any army, state or ethnic group the right to return genocide with genocide.

This is a place where nearly every able-bodied adult has served in the military and trained to defend Israel against threats that all seem to come from Muslims. In their schools, they are taught that Palestinians are at best interlopers trespassing on a territory given to them by G-d directly in scripture and at worst a daily threat to blow up their city bus and rape their little sister, and after Oct. 7, they have material proof that Hamas' dedication to Israel's destruction isn't just a position statement. The typical Israeli in Tel Aviv isn't massacring the Arab they see on the sidewalk but they sure as hell aren't horrified enough by it in Gaza to do anything about it.

---

OK, back to reality. Or maybe we never left. My actual position? I don't know. I went out to get coffee halfway through my shift on Saturday and some pro-Palestinian protesters, about a dozen, either mostly or entirely unkempt white kids, walked right past the office toward me. I hustled to the door, opened it and made sure it locked behind me. Some of those people have camped out in front of City Hall protesting in direct violation of city code but the cops won't touch them because they don't want to be seen manhandling a peaceful protest.

I don't like taking the position of terrorists, which is why I played the "thought experiment" game above. But Israel seems to be taking the very neo-con position that you can kill terrorism, but killing terrorism and killing terrorists are two different things. I don't think anyone in power in Israel really cares how many Gazans they kill, or if they do, they view it as justifiable collateral damage.

dixiehack likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

No it can't. In 1947, the UN had a partition plan that would have created two states: one Arab, one Jewish. You can not accurately play that in reverse and say that the Jews said hell no to that and attacked the Arabs rather than choosing to live side by side in peace. You can't accurately then play out the next several decades and have Israel (after it declared its independence and became a country) continuing to attack, the way that the Arabs in the region did trying to wipe Israel off the map. The reason that Gaza and the West Bank is occupied by Israel and not the Arab countries (Egypt and Jordan) that occupied it prior to 1967 and 1973 is that they kept attacking Israel. ... and lost. You can not play it in reverse and somehow create the fiction that the Palestinians have tried to negotiate an honest peace several times only to have the Israelis walk away from the table. In 2000, at the Camp David Summit when Ehud Barak was ready to give everything to Yasser Arafat he asked for, Arafat blew up a peace deal. They didn't want peace. He was there to put on a performance to extract as many Israeli concessions as he possibly could without ever intending to reach a peace settlement; the purpose was to jerk Israel around as a show of power. You can't play something in reverse that has Israeli schools teaching racist stereotypes about Arabs to their children and teaching that holy wars and infitadas and martrydom are righteous. I can go on and on. But no, you can't take my post and "play it in reverse." Israel is like everyone else, as a country it has done things it shouldn't be proud of, particularly the settlements in the Golan Heights and West Bank, which cater to their own extremists (which are a small minority there, not the overwhelming majority). But you really need to really equivocate to rewrite history as a "you can play it in reverse," thing.

MileHigh, X-Hack and TigerVols like this.
  6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Great post. But I think you mean settlements in Gaza (uprooted in 2005) and the West Bank? Israel annexed the Golan in 1980 after capturing it from Syria during the Six-Day War (following two decades of Syria using its high ground to launch attacks on Israeli villages in the Upper Galilee). The Syrian Arabs who lived there mostly fled. Today it's mostly Druze and Jewish. There are no "settlements" within the meaning of what there are in the West Bank or what there were in Gaza and -- before the Camp David Accords -- the Sinai (living proof of Israel's willingness to swap land for peace for decades now). And there was never anyone in the Golan who identified as "Palestinian" (which is largely a concept that emerged in the 1960s anyway).

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It’s not goddamn 1947 any more and genocide in the name of the Abrahamic deity is still exactly that. How many more dead Palestinians would make you happy?

8. The Big Ragu

Even if you buy the Hamas' death toll, which is almost certainly overstated, there have been fewer than 40,000 people killed out of a population of more than 2 million . At least some of them have been Hamas fighters. As big a death toll as that is, it would make it the most feckless attempt at a "genocide" ever. But congrats on alleging a genocide that obviously isn't what is happening, making it so that people will be inured to the next actual genocide. Using exagerated language to try to make something even worse than what it is is dishonest. And it's such a bullshit way to discuss this. What's Kafkaesque about it is that it is Hamas, not Israel as a country, whose stated goal is to wipe Israel and jews off the map. THAT is genocidal intent. Israel has never stated anything like that, nor has it ever attacked without provocation. It launched a military response in Gaza only after what happened on October 7. October 7 doesn't happen, and Israel's military is back home.

Implying that they are fighting a war in the "name of an Abrhamic deity," is a slightly less ridiculous distortion, at least. Israel is not fighting a religious war. It has never tried to spread a religion, nor did it attack Gaza because the people living there are Muslim. They launched a military operation after a terrorist attack that came out of Gaza on October 7 that killed more than a thousand people, and saw women raped and killed and more than 150 hostages taken. You (or someone else) might think their response has been too forceful, causing too much death. But at least be honest and stop trying to frame it in exagerated terms, because you think that shifting the conversation that way gives more credence to what you believe about what is going on.

Nobody is "happy" about people getting killed. Maybe next post you can imply that people who don't see it the same way that you do are "happy" about "the genocide."

Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
    outofplace and X-Hack like this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

also, this:

https://wapo.st/3VE2PZp

TEL AVIV — Israel’s Supreme Court unanimously ruled on Tuesday that ultra-Orthodox yeshiva students must be conscripted into the Israeli military and are no longer eligible for substantial government benefits, which could result in the collapse of the government’s ruling coalition.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

It's about time. The Haredim have been a privileged minority in Israel, and a militant one at that. They're leading the push to colonize the West Bank, and not reluctant to intimidate Arabs living there. But their religious status has made them exempt from military service and qualified them for government subsidies.
    Judging from prior behavior, it wouldn't surprise me if they responded violently to this development.

I Should Coco and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Show us that you don't know what you are talking about without admitting it.

Draft saved Draft deleted