1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Right, but you don’t mess with a hammy.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Go gay, improve your play:

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Had an interesting debate on X. The guy said he was troubled that framing pitches has taken precedence over good catching mechanics. I countered that framing IS good catching mechanics. Framing wins games.

Amirite?

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Good mechanics" will return when the computerized strike zone renders framing into the buggy whip era.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Joe Sheehan wrote that MLB umps call catches, the robot umpires call pitches.

8. jr/shotglass

I'm not sure how I feel about losing that human element. And I mean just that ... I don't really know how I feel about it.

Liut likes this.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

One of the advantages of replay has been the total elimination of those ridiculous manager-umpire rhubarbs that never changed a damn thing.

10. jr/shotglass

That is an excellent point.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

matt_garth, Liut and HanSenSE like this.
  12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

OK, but they also brought the human element into the game and they were fun. Ninety-nine percent of the time, both sides were in on the joke. Tom Hallion just went on Terry Collins' podcast re: the ass in the jackpot game. Decades later and people are still watching these clips. A clip of Earl Weaver arguing w/an ump has 809,000 views on YouTube. Something titled "Lou Piniella goes crazy" has 315,000 views. Who is going to search for "meaningless safe/out call overturned at first base in 2022 Mets-Rockies game" in 2060?

Liut, JC and Deskgrunt50 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted