1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Your ass is in the jackpot with this kind of take.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree with BYH. Fans adored a good rhubarb. Even if they didn't change anything (why would they?) they were entertaining. I still remember one when I was a kid when Phillies manager Gene Mauch was claiming the opposing pitcher was doctoring the ball. Ump refused to change ball, so Mauch said "here, I'll show you" took the ball and jumped on it with his spikes. Oh, that was a grand one, a well-earned ejection to a standing O.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

When the day of the computerized strike zone comes, do they get rid of the plate ump altogether and just make those calls via replays, when needed? They are the most important out/safe calls, after all. And many games don't have even one call at the plate. Is there a reason to have a plate ump if balls and strikes are no longer part of his job?

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I have to think that there's an entire union out there that is going to ensure it remains a job, at least for a while.

"In order to maintain the integrity of the game, the home-plate umpire shall remain the final arbiter of rain delays ..."

5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I thought about that, but is that union strong enough to even have a say?

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Fair question. I imagine it would come to blows, though, shrinking the work force by 25%.

And remember, some of that union's membership shunned scab umpires decades after the fact.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'd rather have the right call.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

You still need the plate ump for foul tips, plays at the plate, catcher's interference, saying whether it's a hit batsmen, moving along mound visits, administering position changes/pinch hitters, calling fair or foul before the ball reaches third base, rotation plays when the base ump has to go to the outfield, etc.

He's just not calling balls and strikes. The plate ump does a helluva lot more than call balls and strikes. No one's job gets eliminated, it just gets a lot easier.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It’s a union that kept Angel Hernandez employed for years.

bumpy mcgee, Hermes and MileHigh like this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I used to love seeing Bobby Cox go nose to nose with an umpire; that is, until it was revealed he beat his wife.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is a great interaction between manager and ump. Both did a good job. Machado deserved to be tossed

x.com

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Royals-A’s
    It’s so quiet in Oakland, Oakland had a batter come up and had a batter with bubble gum that blew two loud bubbles……sounded like someone getting mowed down in Compton.

Draft saved Draft deleted