1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Willie Mays

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo, Jun 18, 2024.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

So sad. Two days before the Rickwood Field game.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Costas just made the announcement during Yanks-O's on TNT.

One of the very best. RIP.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am old and have seen many, and IMO, he was the best my eyes saw. RIP. Also, fuckshit.

misterbc and matt_garth like this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Before my time, but in fourth grade, my classroom had a shelf of books for us kids to read when we wanted to. There was a series of books with Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Bart Starr. I devoured them several times apiece.

I always enjoyed the story in the book of when Willie was called up to the majors, he tried to persuade Leo Durocher to keep him in the minors because he felt he wasn’t ready.

Leo asked him what he was hitting in the minors, and Willie replied, “.477.” Leo then asked if Willie thought he could hit .250 for him; and Willie said he thought he could. Leo told him, in a kids’ book sort of way, to get his ass on the field.

RIP

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Say Hey.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Never saw him or Mantle play. Now both are gone. The two best players of their generation.

FileNotFound and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Inner circle, and then some.

RIP.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Truly the first player I ever hated ........ because I grew up with the Dodgers and he was always the most feared opponent. Back then, there were only 9 Dodgers games on TV each season, the ones from San Francisco. I would think that it's too bad Mays was right-handed because the wind always blew in from left field at Candlestick. But he always killed the Dodgers. Seeing him bat against Sandy Koufax was amazing.
    I regard him as the best player I ever saw.
    RIP, legend.

FileNotFound, misterbc and maumann like this.
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Bummer, been working and just found out. The man who led me to make basket catches on the infield. Off to be the big "24" in the sky. May you RIP.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Had the Dodgers not moved, and had Duke's knee stayed sound, he might have hit between 500-550 homers. He was only 30 in 1957 and hit 40 his last year in Brooklyn, the last of five straight 40-homer seasons. He never hit more than 23 after the move, thanks to the ridiculous dimensions at the Coliseum.

He was also a great outfielder. One of the more undervalued and forgotten HOFers from the 1950s.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Before my time, but I trust the eyes of the many I respect on here who did.

Draft saved Draft deleted