1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And check swings?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The point is, he lasted 15 years after I’m sure they tried to fire him.

You seriously can’t be questioning the strength of that union.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
  3. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Aren't they already covered by the other umps?

4. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

You're probably right. But unions aren't for protecting jobs; they're for ensuring rights. If MLB wanted him gone, he'd have been gone.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They tried. It’s well documented.

6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Not that well. I mean, lots of stuff about how they "need" to fire him. Lots of law suit stories and his charges of discrimination. Can you point me to where they tried? Not trying to be a dick here. I legit want to read about that. And it sure seems like they fired him. Why retire in May? Why a settlement (other than it's severance)?

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Some carnage last night in the Bronx. Soto has no clue how to run the bases, hip checks Jordan Westburg on his way to third, knocking Westburg out of the game. Soto out on interference. Suarez hits Aaron Judge in the hand with a fastball, knocking Judge out. (We won’t talk about dumbass Yankee fans cheering when Cortes brushed back Gunnar Henderson, stay classy, etc.) Next two games should be interesting.

On Suarez, he’s been a nice story but there’s a reason he was in Triple A forever. Was not up to the challenge of pitching against the Yankees in the Bronx. Should accelerate Baltimore’s search for pitching help in the face of the Bradish and Means injuries.

jr/shotglass and tapintoamerica like this.
  8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Seven in a row since they signed Grimace. Smart move.

IMG_0352.jpeg

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know we have a separate thread, but man, the timing of this little exchange. I don't mean that in a critical way, just a striking coincidence.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Man, that is absolutely brutal. Plate umpire could have called that one.

Barksdale has the plate tonight. The pre-game meeting should be fun, wouldn't be surprised if Black gets tossed right there.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Wasn’t in Triple-A forever. Wasn’t even that relevant. Spent time in Japan et al. The story is compelling but has a short shelf life.

Draft saved Draft deleted