1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Willie Mays

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo, Jun 18, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Rickey Henderaon’s standing seems to have improved with age. I didn’t pay attention to baseball until the second half of his career but the book on him was that he was too flashy, self-centered and all the other dog whistles you can think of. It probably helps that baseball media types have grown wistful for stolen bases in the aftermath of Three True Outcomes.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

There are like three defining moments in my life. I remember the last day of school in fifth grade, when my first crush showed up to a pool party at my buddy's house in a two-piece. Ten years later, I remember seeing my wife for the very first time on campus. And long before any of that, I remember seeing this baseball card in every other pack of 1980 Topps I ever opened, and learning from my Dad what a cycle was and understanding that Jack Brohamer collecting every hit possible in a single game meant baseball was the greatest game where anything was possible. (No offense MG :D)

[​IMG]

micropolitan guy likes this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

None taken. He was a total overachiever, and that's why I loved him. I was a huge Indians fan growing up; as a player I battled left, threw right, had no power but could run and play infield and outfield. Just like the Hamer.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I remember him! 2B who hit lefty! IIRC I believe I had his rookie card with the gold cup or something like that as a rookie to watch or rookie star for the prior year.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Yes but we are all 100% sure Rickey's was clean. [/s]

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

lol

I was always a big fan of Henderson. I remember going off here when a few idiots left him off their ballots to keep him from unanimously being voted to the Hall of Fame. Bonds wasn't close to Henderson as a base-stealer, but it is difficult to argue with seven MVP awards (and Bonds was robbed in 1991). Bonds was the better hitter and defensive player.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

I will argue and you will like it, fuck face!!!! :D

I think the better argument here is Rickey being underappreciated. And part of that is his own fault. Some of his silliness detracted from just how great and singular a player he was. But yeah, seven MVPs to one and eight Gold Gloves to one is tough to overlook. Even for me!

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Bobby Valentine spent some time in the Angels broadcast booth last night. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying complete attention, but he has great stories.

Maybe 1987, he said he was managing the Texas Rangers and they played host to one of those Equitable Old-Timers Series games. He has Mays, DiMaggio, Snider and Mantle all together. All are mingling with fans, signing autographs, except DiMaggio, who wanted no part of that. At one point before the game, the other three are hanging out in the outfield. DiMaggio is hiding in the clubhouse. Valentine goes to talk to him. DiMaggio tell him that he didn't even want to be there and he wasn't coming out unless the PA announcer introduces him as "The Greatest Living Baseball Player."

Valentine goes on the field and talks with Willie, Mickey and Duke. He said they have a dilemma. Joe D. said he won't come out unless he is announced as the greatest living baseball player. Mickey looks at Duke, smiles and nods, Duke nods. He looks at Willie and said, it's OK with us if it's OK with you. All three broke out laughing. That was the end of Valentine's story.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never cared about the silly stuff with Henderson. He was a goofball. So what? Bonds was an asshole. Neither of those things changed their greatness. I can certainly see the argument for Henderson. Then again, he was one of my favorite players to watch when I was a kid.

Wait. That's now how this is supposed to go. Fuck you, Dickhead! 8 seconds! Um...um....shit, I'm not as good at this as I used to be.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He’d be looked at far differently on this day and age He’s be analytic darling. Henderson was one of my favourite players growing up.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's no question Henderson was the greatest leadoff hitter ever. In fact, most of the names discussed here were the greatest something. Koufax greatest lefty pitcher (and maybe strike the lefty), Bench the greatest catcher (Berra only argument against that), Schmidt the greatest third baseman, Bonds the greatest batting numbers, and so on.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

I agree (wait what?!) on Henderson. It doesn't impact my appreciation of him. But I can see others being more dismissive of him b/c he was kinda flaky. Also, I think his legacy suffers somewhat b/c he bounced around so much: Oak-NYY-Oak-Tor-Oak-SD-Angels-Oak-NYM-Sea-SD-Bos-Dodgers. (I only had to correct this once upon looking it up!) He also ended his career as a little-used reserve bookending stints in an independent league. Bonds is indelibly connected with San Francisco and ending his career months after breaking the a/t HR record. I do think, upon further reflection that Bonds is better. But Rickey is somewhat underrated as an inner inner-circle HOFer in his own weird way.

Draft saved Draft deleted