1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

All of the expansion drafts were pure trash until the NHL tried to fix it and went way overboard. Vegas GM George McPhee was smarter than most of the other GMs and took full advantage. The GMs (Ducks' Bob Murray) who thought they could "play" the expansion draft got burned.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Clue No. 1 ...
    Goaltenders were selected first followed by another phase for forwards and defensemen.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Clue No. 2 ...
    Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles and Montreal were exempt from exposing a goalie in this expansion due losing one in 1972 when Atlanta and the N.Y. Islanders joined the league.
    However, Canadiens GM Sam Pollock had a surplus in net (most notably, a returning Ken Dryden after he sat out the previous season).
    Pollack went ahead and made a goaltender available, anyway.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ha! The second time Wilf Paiement's name has surfaced on this thread, as he was the guy who had the only hat trick in Kansas City history.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Clue No. 3 ...
    First professional goalie to score a goal while playing in the minor leagues.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Answer is Michel Plasse.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What U.S. state has the most Olympic gold medals per capita (per 100,000 residents)?

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I know they won at least one in swimming and I'm guessing more in snow sports so I'll guess Alaska.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not a bad guess, but no. Alaska is 10th. Four gold medals for 0.55 per 100,000 residents. The No. 1 state has 2.63 per 100,000 residents.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

IDK, but Maryland has to be up there just because of Michael Phelps.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maryland is third per 100,000 residents (1.25 per), but is No. 1 if you bump it to per 1 million. They have 77 gold medals, 23 of which belong to Phelps. The 77 golds are also the third-highest total of any state, behind California and Florida.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’d guess one of the smaller New England states.

Maybe Maine?

Draft saved Draft deleted