1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Willie Mays

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo, Jun 18, 2024.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The bathtub design of the Polo Grounds was, for some reason which I am sure was unintentional , designed like a football stadium. The distances down the foul poles were 257 and 273 in the diagram I saw. Then the field went straight back and took almost a right angle.

Power alleys in Denver can be placed much further back. I remember the first time I went to a Denver Bears game in the late 60's. The distance down the right field line was about 370 to the right field wall. I remember thinking this must be an pitchers park but it was not. You could have 415 foot power alleys in Denver.

Obviously they are not going to tear down stands to accommodate my wishes but I think it was an opportunity lost.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Willie Mays, then and now ...

upload_2024-6-19_21-31-54.jpeg

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Maybe in heaven Wertz's blast goes for a triple, the Indians win the opener and sweeep the series.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Or maybe Satan had already claimed the Indians for hell back then, as he as done ever since.

UPChip likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There is a law office in town with an obnoxious Yankees mural. I should drive up tomorrow and see if Manky is hanging out.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The thing about Coors is that it has, by surface area, the largest outfield in Major League Baseball, which might be because of that one time at Mile High when Sid Bream hit a checked-swing homer. The problem is that the radius of where the defender can go stays the same and the radius of where the ball can go grows. Making the field even bigger would only increase that discrepancy.

Sometimes I can't even fathom the Polo Grounds as a Major League venue. Most high school fields are longer down the line and yet center was so far out there that they didn't even bother to put up a fence. I believe the steps to the unconnected clubhouse started where centerfield ended.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Did he ever make A1!

2muchcoffeeman and I Should Coco like this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If that's Thursday's cover, what the heck was TODAY'S (Wednesday's) cover?

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I get to see that in the driveway tomorrow AM, a good start to the day!

Neutral Corner and HanSenSE like this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

From what I understand, they need to be off the floor by 8 p.m. I first saw news of this on teh Twitterez around 5:50. So in print nada (at least the edition we get here). But lotsa good web content. In other words, journalism in the 2020s.

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

The year he hit for the cycle, he had just two home runs and three triples for the entire season.

Draft saved Draft deleted