1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Tell me you haven't experienced or don't care to even make an effort to understand the horrible scars left from being the victim of sexual abuse without telling me you haven't experienced or don't care to even make an effort to understand the horrible scars left from being the victim of sexual abuse.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I understand everything just fine. You are taking my actually having listened to Robert Morris, and my attempt at describing his style/approach to preaching and teaching, which I did for the benefit of those here who haven't heard him, particularly not on a regular basis, as support for his past actions. I do not support them. I was attempting to contribute something additional to the thread beyond the standard, usual, and expected, total condemnation, no questions asked, or answered.

I won't go into what a person of faith can or cannot or should or should not be excused/forgiven about, given, you know, the whole premise of Christianity. But I do think pasts can be put/left there, if others will allow it, and I do think Morris has probably done a lot of good over the years that, yes, might help balance the scales against even such a terrible thing as what occurred.

I, like a lot of Morris's actual church congregation, I'm sure, was no more aware of his past acts before this week than I'm guessing anybody else here was. My posts were simply an attempt to enlighten others as to how/why others might follow, believe in, be interested in, and yes, even support him, based on my limited, but fairly regular, exposure to his sermons/services.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

She wanted to not be sexually molested, so in fact she did not get what she wanted.

4. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

This is fantastic.

It’s almost as if someone issued a challenge to get Pharma Bro, crypto and Trump in the same sentence.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don’t give a flying fuck if this guy was leading the greatest religious organization on God’s Green Earth. He was (or still is) a child molester. He’s lucky he wasn’t arrested 30+ years ago. Fuck him.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The only questions you should be asking are these: "Did it happen? Does the watchdog group believe her? Does the church believe her? Did he lie about what he did for more than 40 years?"

He should be thrown through a woodchipper.

outofplace, Driftwood and Woody Long like this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Robert Morris quickly becoming the Phil Collins of religion.

8. WriteThinking

Thanks. I really appreciate your thoughts, and the fact that you have an understanding of what I've been trying to convey -- what it is possible for someone to convey, even about someone about whom others might wonder how, or why.

It does stink. I know others don't think so, just because...you know, it just can't possibly, if somebody does that...but, yeah, it's actually depressing for me, and, I can only imagine, for the hundreds of thousands of actual in-person congregants who ever got anything out of Morris's sermons.

And I know they did, because I know I got a lot out of watching/listening to him. Indeed, I actually enjoyed doing it, and I learned a lot, in the Bible, and about it, because of him. I have considered Morris and David Jeremiah my favorite televangelists to watch, each for very different reasons, just because their styles are so different. But they've been the two I have listened to on a regular basis over the past few years.

They've been like my daily bread.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
  9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Fred siegle likes this.
  10. WriteThinking

Why don't you not presume about what I can tell you?

That's all.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The NCAA is going to be so mad at Robert Morris, they will put both St. Francis (Pa.) and St. Francis (NY) on probation.

garrow, MTM, Inky_Wretch and 4 others like this.
  12. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I've watched a slew of his broadcasts. To me, he was neither inspiring nor off-putting.
    I'm sure his departure is troubling for his congregants. It's a pity you and they will have to find another preacher who mirrors your faith.
    But I think it would be helpful if you were to show the same concern and grace for the woman he raped when she was a child.

Draft saved Draft deleted