1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

By then the tiebreaker should be Marco Polo or holding your breath underwater the longest or biggest splash from doing a cannonball.

Baron Scicluna and UPChip like this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I was thinking a throwback to the 1900 Paris Olympics and bring back the 200-meter obstacle course. That or the plunge for distance.

Batman likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

Just showed the proposal on the Left Coast. What was the last proposal after a big sporting event? I got when Boise State's QB proposed to his girlfriend cheerleader after the Fiesta Bowl.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Boise one was classic -even with the Myers spoiler. Dude scores touchdown and gets the cheerleader. This one? Is he stealing her spotlight? Or ensuring that she is the one Oly qualifier people talk about because he did it on TV? Discuss.

5. HanSenSE

For those wondering uptopic, Phelps in the booth on Friday.

6. HanSenSE

My bad. It was a running back, and, they're still married.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

God, the first few Olympics were awesome in their absurdity. Somebody needs to make a movie about the 1904 St. Louis games.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

she’s from Indiana so maybe since it was in Indy compared to somewhere else?

she’s a five time medalist with two gold….people know who she is.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And Equestrian to TV's neighborhood(ish)!

MileHigh likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Imagine being a canoe slalomist (sp?) who has worked your whole life to someday reach the Olympics - only to get exiled to Oklahoma, half a continent away from where the real party is.

franticscribe likes this.
  12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Lilly King does not need help getting the media's attention. She's been outspoken about calling out Russian dopers, and I'm willing to bet she already knows the Chinese words for "dirty" and various other taunts. If you need someone to cut a promo on this U.S. team, she's it. She's already got a gold medal or two.

The swimming/track thing bothers me but only on traditionalist grounds. I'm shocked that they couldn't just have the softball at USC or UCLA or Pepperdine or something. The canoe slalom thing is asinine, but I think the problem is that a whitewater canoe facility is kind of the ultimate in single-use white elephant facilities and it's expensive. This is from the playbook of how the bobsled track for 2026 could be nowhere near Italy (though I read this week that they're now leaning back toward refurbishing the track from 2006 near Torino) How there is a whitewater facility in Oklahoma City makes no goddamned sense. The 1996 whitewater venue was on the Ocoee River in (relatively) natural conditions. You'd think there'd be somewhere on the Colorado to do this but it kind of feels like they're trying to save a buck. Agreed that an Olympic experience in Oklahoma seems like bullshit, but I guess if the Dodgers can do it...

Draft saved Draft deleted