1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Willie Mays

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo, Jun 18, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When I got into sports in the 80s I would hear so much about how some athletes (mostly minorities) were prima donnas or ungrateful or too flashy. I didn’t know the subtext and recent history behind those statements but the broadcasters delivering those verdicts certainly did.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Barry Bonds, of course, has a difficult rep. And he was uniquely difficult and unfriendly to everyone almost from the word go. But he is also a smart guy who saw what his Dad and Willie went thru.

Hermes, qtlaw and HanSenSE like this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Thank you Reggie. FOX now returns to Sean Hannity and our usual race-baiting, dog-whistling rants about the border and illegal immigration."

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In 2005, San Jose State dedicated statues to Tommy Smith and John Carlos (the same ones I have on my avatar). Smith, Carlos and Peter Norman were brought in for a ceremony along with many dignitaries from the 68 Olympic contingent that planned to make a Civil Rights statement. This included Dr. Harry Edwards. Edwards is a very imposing man. He's tall and he's filled out. I got the Irish-Scot skin from my mom. I got the Mexican height from my dad. As a student reporter at SJSU, I went around to cover the events and interview people. I introduced myself to Edwards and was naively starstruck interviewing him. He answered my questions, but the whole time, he glared at me through imposing dark sunglasses. And that glare was even more imposing considering he has a good foot on me. Everyone else was happy to talk and excited for the events. But it always stuck with me how much Edwards was so stern. As I reflected (because as I've taught the Civil Rights era in my classroom, I constantly reflect on how special that day was), I can't help but ponder how much was the result of his experience with White reporters and how obviously green I was. I've come to really wish I could do that interview over again and come at it with the knowledge I have now and to really give the experience more deference that it was due.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

A round of applause, while I'm thinking of it, to Joe Rudi and his wife. They put their necks out at a time they could have gotten cut off.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

One point I got out of Reggie's stories was that he wasn't saying all white people were bad, he survived because of whites such as Rudi, McNamara, Finley, etc. (I guess Finley was a totally bad dude, just cheap).

Spartan Squad likes this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

It says so much that older white men like John McNamara and Gil Hodges made things easier for their Black players. There are surely men of that generation who did not have the same compassion and kindness (including Joe Morgan, who, after succeeding McNamara as Red Sox manager, told Ellis Burks to stay away from white girls).

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In many states, you couldn’t play when Reggie said in schools because it would make some of the students feel bad.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

We bleep out curses but gladly play the sound of gunfire, then wonder why our society is so fucked up.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My favourite Toronto Argonaut when he played here.

Sea Bass and BTExpress like this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "f*ck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!--Col. Kurtz

Draft saved Draft deleted