1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The Jazz drafted Lusia Harris in the seventh round in 1977.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

An MNBA is definitely something a former newspaper reporter spends tens of thousands of dollars on in an attempt to get out of a failing industry and make it in the business world.

Speaking of women in the draft, the first was Denise Long, Iowa 6-on-6 legend taken by Warriors in 1969 Draft.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Nancy Lieberman played for the Lakers’ summer league team back in the day.

I remember some attention on whether Brittney Griner would try to make the jump. Because she’s 6-8 and could DUNK!!!

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Franklin Mieuli drafted Denise Long for the Warriors in the 13th round in 1970, bit the pick was voided because the NBA didn't allow high school player to be drafted at the time.

EDIT: h/t @Small Town Guy

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yup. She was stunned that I dared to challenge her on it. The argument that women are allowed in the NBA is a place to start. The NBA is 50 years older and a hell of a lot more profitable. It still owns 50 percent of the WNBA, still gives money toward its operating expenses, and still does a lot of its marketing and merchandising.

I'm sure there will be some grumbling about me being a sexist in the coming days. Maybe I should dig up the take-out piece I wrote about Title IX just because I wanted to when I was in college.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Indiana now 7-10 after winning tonight in Atlanta. Might not sound impressive until you look at the Fever’s winning percentage the previous seven seasons:

They already have more wins than five of those teams had all year, with only one Covid-shortened season in the mix.

franticscribe likes this.
  7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

They'd be a playoff team if the season ended today

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm not a ref. Two double dribbles and a carry?

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We don’t call our Amateur Championship the Men’s Amateur Championship for that very reason. Women are free to participate, as long as they play the same set of tees. Men cannot play in our Women’s Amateur, thus the name.

outofplace and HanSenSE like this.
  10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

This is what hurts the women's game in my eyes.

She couldn't drive down 3/4s of the court, against no opposition, without doing 3 things that should have been called as turnovers?

And if she was called for any of them, I'm sure she would have gone nuclear about "different whistles" and all that shit.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Kings drafted Caitlyn Jenner that year too.

Liut likes this.
  12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted