1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN pay cuts?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Apr 13, 2020.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yeah, got cut years ago and then was brought back a year or two later.

2. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Incredibly well-written. And yes, I can just imagine working at ESPN is like playing for the Yankees. You're in the spotlight 24/7 and everybody's got an opinion, whether you're winning or losing. I got a pretty hard shell from years of getting berated by high school parents. I can only imagine when you're a young, black female getting threats because you're "anti-black men."

Dog8Cats and Readallover like this.
  4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Scott Van Pelt should be tased if he asks a question longer than 15 words or works into the question what answer he wants. He is a fucking narcissist who thinks he is about 10 times smarter than he is

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From the top rope! I don't know him but if I did I'd never call him "SVP." Nor do I refer to him as that now. That is all.

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Why do you subject yourself to this? Why does anyone watch SportsCenter? When Yankees-Red Sox ended last night, I dove for the remote to change the channel like I was Greg fucking Louganis. And I like Scott Van Pelt.

Liut, garrow, dixiehack and 5 others like this.
  7. Readallover

8. Readallover

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He worth it - considering how much "content" he produces. That said - I'm sure ESPN could find someone else to take that offer, if Smith is serious about his interest in doing other things.

10. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I would be interested to see what Stephen A could fetch on the open market. Would another media enterprise give him $15-20 million? Would several smaller companies do what James Andrew Miller suggested and combine to give him deals that equaled the number he wants? Or is his fame/value solely tied up in ESPN and their strategy of flooding their airwaves and platforms with his content?

11. Readallover

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Maybe people will watch a SAS talk show. Or listen to his podcast. Maybe someone like Netflix or Prime will give him a live daily show. And if he has an ownership stake, he can earn a lot of coin doing so. But I think that his position as a leading voice in sports ends the second he leaves ESPN.

HanSenSE, PaperClip529 and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted