1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And Tulsa is the Paris of Oklahoma.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Elite paddling competitions take place in artificial waterways. The Ocoee River in 1996 was the only time the Olympics have contested the event on a natural river.

The original bid showed a course at Sepulveda Dam in the San Fernando Valley, but apparently they were looking at shifting to OKC as far back as 2022.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

They spread the early rounds of soccer around on 1984 as well, Stanford, Harvard and the Naval Academy as well as the Rose Bowl.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My dad took us to an early-round game at the Rose Bowl that year. Maybe Morocco-Brazil? The 1984 Olympics were a big deal, especially growing up in SoCal.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Looks like they always do that, in whatever country they're in.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's being renovated. They played at UC Irvine this season but will return to Dedeaux in 2025.

USC makes out like a bandit with Big Ten travel. Doesn't sponsor softball, gymnastics or men's soccer, all sports UCLA has and will have to travel halfway or completely across the country to play conference games. UCLA will probably limit its gymnastics travel to the Big Ten meet and try to stay regional with everything else.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I haven't done any recent research on this, and I was surprised by the info that was posted today about the venue changes. USC was renovating Dedeaux Field for swimming, then they were going to change it back for baseball after the Games. The photo below was from a story 8 years ago. The pool on the left is the one they used for the '84 Olympics. The pools on the right are on the baseball field. I guess that has all changed. This season, the Trojans played their home games at The Great Park in Irvine, UC Irvine and Loyola Marymount. They practiced at 6 a.m. at El Camino College.
    I also thought the old 1932 Olympic Swim Stadium in Exposition Park next to the Coliseum was taken out when they built the new soccer stadium for LAFC. But they might have built a new swimming pool for the local residents.
    There were stories about USC adding softball but it hasn't happened. There is no room on campus for a softball stadium, but the stories said there was a park a few blocks from campus that USC could have renovated into a suitable stadium, and the locals could use it at other times.
    Most of this stuff was before the Clippers built their new arena and SoFi was done.

[​IMG]

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

After the trials in Indy, and we're an every four years swimming country, it made sense to go to SoFi. I don't like the switch of swimming and track.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I had a temp job doing security at a Stanford dorm that served as the Stanford village. Seems like the East Germans were always coming back from somewhere just before sunrise. That and there was a week-long cheer camp in an adjacent dorm, "Hey crowd, how do you feel?" 24-7.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    MileHigh likes this.
  10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don’t either. Traditionally, the marathon is the final event of the Games, and that moment when the leader enters the stadium always feels to me like a perfect climax/wrapup.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That doesn't necessarily have to change. Even if they couldn't open the Coliseum for that, the marathon hasn't finished in the stadium since 2008.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

There are three Class A baseball stadiums within 90 minutes of downtown LA — Rancho Cucamonga, San Bernardino and Lake Elsinore. All seat around 6,000, I believe. I wonder why those couldn’t be used for softball with some modifications.

maumann and ChrisLong like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted