1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Same here. Back in the '80s, when I was doing a magazine,
    I had an undeclared ban on running any story about Trump.
    He just smelled like a steaming dog turd even back then.

I'm glad to say I never broke that rule. But I never
    envisioned that he could con his way into the White House.

I wish I could be here 200 years from now and see what
    the history books say then. (If history books still are allowed then.)

That being impossible, I can't wait to read his obituary.
    And I live with the hope that I don't have to wait much longer.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Ah yes, the liberals. Not the right-wing architects of Jim Crow.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

100%. Also, it’s crazy that the family got away with blatant and massive tax fraud to transfer the wealth from Fred to the kids. Trump’s sister resigned from the bench when the story became public so as to avoid an ethics inquiry but zero consequences for Donald.

garrow likes this.
  4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

That people think he's rly smart and an able businessman is utter proof of the failure in reportage on him since around 1975.
    People blame the 'mainstream media' - this is the group of reporters that initially failed.
    The record would suggest that Fred Trump was in fact a good businessman.

2muchcoffeeman and Smallpotatoes like this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He's more reckless and wicked than he is purely dumb but he is, by Biblical standards, a fool and a scoffer; a bad guy.

Some of his voters vote for him along those lines. For those reasons. He's their viper in what they view to be a pit full of them.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

He’s rich because his father was rich.

If I started with what he started with, maybe I wouldn’t have done any better but I wouldn’t have done any worse.

And most people here would agree, I’m a moron.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You could have done hundreds of millions better, just by putting the money in index funds and letting them do the work.

2muchcoffeeman and Smallpotatoes like this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

When Pinochet died surrounded by friends and family, the general mood was that the world was a better place without him but the nature of his death did not match the life he led. As someone noted above, Trump got his wish, which was to leave a mark on the country he thinks didn't love him enough. I'm not sure what people will think or feel when he passes on.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It'll be the first time there will be widespread public celebration at the death of a former (or current) president.

Hoover lost in a massive landslide. Nixon was reviled. Reagan and LBJ were very unpopular with a lot of people. But there wasn't open public jubilation when they kicked off.

There will be for Fatfuck.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
  10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Relief. Glee.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Reagan softened the impact of his demise by surviving for a decade out of the public eye, going through the process of Alzheimer's and other ailments, but most importantly, not making any further public statements to remind everybody of his "legacy."

So the people who didn't like Reagan very much had something like 15 years to cool off, including a very economically successful Democratic administration which shut up the "Reagan was a miracle man" crowd to a considerable degree (as did the wet fart of the GHWB administration).

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted