1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They loved it!

Cleveland Browns Admit Wristband Process for Floor Access to Rolling Stones Concert Was a Fiasco

Hermes likes this.
  2. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

We're lucky here to have an alt-weekly-turned-alt-monthly that usually has ads for various concert venues. What's left of entertainment sections in the mainstream press don't do much advance coverage anymore. Not that I blame them -- the promoters down't advertise, so screw 'em.

Willie was in town this month, as well as Plant/Krauss. TBH, I don't need to hear them. They have no surprises for me, and I'm not that into nostalgia.

A local coffeehouse has booked an Australian singer for August. He reminds me of Tom Waits' "Rain Dogs" period. I just ordered tickets.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Atlantis in D.C. is next to the 9:30 Club and is designed to be a faithful recreation of the old F Street 9:30 Club, where I saw my very first concert in 1992 (Radiohead). Super cool to see my favorite band there last night, such an intimate venue. Felt like a loud living room show. Hold Steady brought the heat, per usual, though there was a concerning moment after three songs when they couldn't get the sound figured out. Craig said during the encore that there was a real chance they would have to bag the show because of technical issues, but their crew and the Atlantis crew finally figured it out and got rolling. Looking forward to the next two nights at 9:30 Club!

FileNotFound and TigerVols like this.
  4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Moddy and I went to see Asleep at The Wheel last week at the Birchmere. Great spot and great show.

FileNotFound, Cosmo and Tighthead like this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Night 2 of the DC weekend melted my face off. Not too many times you can casually chat in the dive bar bathroom line with your favorite band’s lead singer at 1 am. A perfect night topped off when a stranger bought me and my buddy’s late night IHOP meals. Bring on night 3!

UNCGrad, Huggy and I Should Coco like this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Another great show, another killer weekend. These gigs are the only time I stay up past midnight anymore, so I'm glad I have today to fully recover before going into an insane work week. I did find a place to stay for Massive Nights through folks I met this weekend, so that's nice. Brooklyn hotels are insanely expensive. Wanted to do all four nights last year but at $350 a night to stay in a tiny pod room, it just wasn't feasible, so I just did two. My hosts won't have to buy beers all week, that's for sure.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm always stunned when I DO hear about a show coming up that tickets go on sale six months out - ou more! I think the best thing to do is keep tabs on venues and your favorite acts. About the only advertising you hear or see is when ticket sales are slow.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My younger brother, his wife and their daughter and son-in-law saw the Stones in Denver the other night, said they were fantastic. He last saw them in 1975 on their "Farewell Tour" at Summerfest at Rich Stadium.

I skipped that show because missing a day of work, tickets and beverages would have amounted to a month's rent at my college apartment. In the big scheme of things, a bad decision because I've still never seen them.

They are going to see Ryan Bingham at Red Rocks on Tuesday.

9. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

If anyone goes to see Ryan Adams, you might get some long rambles about his ex Mandy Moore or Jason Isbell. Apparently stuff like this is every night.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Ryan Adams is an absolutely miserable little puke. And I say this as a former fan who has seen him live.

Sad that he can still find an audience.

FileNotFound and Tighthead like this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yikes, that really cuts like a knife.
    Oh, wait.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I have no idea what he's even saying in that video.

Draft saved Draft deleted