1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

In 1984, it was fun to see different sports. I went to a soccer game at the Rose Bowl, field hockey at East LA College, wrestling at the Anaheim Convention Center and the USA men's semifinal basketball game at the Forum. I was working at Dodger Stadium, so I saw all the baseball, which I believe was four days of double headers followed by the medal round. I even got to help set up the podium for the medal ceremony.
    Other than soccer, it was all on free tickets, so that was nice.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I went to one Olympics -- the 1976 Summer Games in Montreal. The tickets and train ride were a HS graduation present.

Somewhere between deboarding the train in Montreal and the 45-minute cab ride to my motel, I lost my tickets.

I was back home within 18 hours.

franticscribe likes this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If she's talking about Anna Hall, you might want to point out that she's medaled in the two most recent World Championships and her career best is second all-time among Americans, behind only Jackie Joyner-Kersee. She's considered to have a good shot at gold in Paris, though she's coming off an injury -- another reason to focus on her performance.

I don't think the attention is because of her looks.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I thought this was a smallpotatoes post

Baron Scicluna, JC, Batman and 2 others like this.
  5. John

John Well-Known Member

I went to a bunch of stuff in 1996, most notably all of the semis and finals of the soccer in Athens. I also went over to Atlanta for the men's marathon, and wound up giving the Somali runner, who was the second-to-last finisher, a ride back to the Olympic village (or wherever he was staying).

maumann likes this.
  6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I went to Atlanta in 1996 with zero plan or tickets. Amazing how many tickets there were for lesser events (field hockey, baseball and non-US hoops). I get that having everyone in the same area is really what it’s about.

maumann likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I could only swing a day trip to Atlanta for the field hockey medal games. But we still went down to the Dome/GWCC first to people watch, rode MARTA and made a Varsity run afterwards, so it still felt like a pretty good sampling of the international flavor, especially sharing a stadium with the Dutch and Aussies.

Would have liked to have seen the park, but this was after the bombing, so it was either closed or we deemed it too much of a shitshow to bother with.

maumann likes this.
  8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'd really like to take my boys to the LA Olympics, particularly for wrestling. I'm assuming the event tickets will be reasonable for a niche sport, but that everything else (airfare, lodging, etc) will be insanely expensive.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wrestling will be at UCLA. Several airport options besides LAX and if you get a car, you don't have to stay in Santa Monica or L.A. itself.

franticscribe likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We only made it to the Rose Bowl for a soccer game, but it was a great couple of weeks, for sure.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If it was, the train would've derailed and the cab would've run head-on into the ambulance coming to help him.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Wow, Mu falls and misses the Olympics.

Draft saved Draft deleted