1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For sure. I think Sharma had the S&L bailouts in mind as a sort of starting point for when we stepped off the rails, but you can take it to the Chrysler loan guarantees that Carter signed into law right before leaving office. What Congress did with Chrysler was a step in the wrong direction, but it actually ended up costing everyone else nothing because luckily for Iococca it bought him some needed time (not that that justifies it having happened in the first place. ... you and I wouldn't have gotten a $1.5 billion loan putting all of our neighbors on the hook if we defaulted; that's just not right).

They got knee deep into the S&L defaults a few years later, and it ended up costing Americans $160 billion, which is a pretty quaint number relative to the later costs because of the precedent it set. But up until then, that sort of thing would have been heretical. I think the point is that once you open barn doors like that just a little, you may as well just be opening it all the way. What Ruchir points out in his book is that the bailout culture became entrenched during that period, and the interventions got bigger and bigger after that and now occur at even the smallest sign of any trouble. One analogy he uses is a doctor prescribing opiates for even the slightest pain. ... and creating drug addicts in the process.

Anyhow, it's a book worth reading for anyone interested. Ruchir is a smart guy.

5. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

This TED talk from an NYU professor re: the younger generation's lack of ability to acquire even subtle wealth is one that I find interesting, and touches base on the "bailouts",etc. but also offers some ideas on reform. I'm sorely ignorant of what "the economy" really is, yet enjoy this thread and will leave the link here, hoping for your thoughts.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Today's garbage collection bill. A nice little 57% hike.

Must be another supply and demand thingy. :rolleyes:

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We rarely go out to eat, and I guess I know why. Last night my wife and I went out. Our meal was two things off the appetizer menu - pretzel bites with cheese dip and a basket of calamari - and two beers each. It was $47.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Gavin's minimum wage increase strikes again!

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

To offset the price, I may or may not have a new Stella Artois glass in my cupboard.

BrownScribe likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted