1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That kinda sounds like when a baseball announcer calling a game in April says, "It's his first three-hit game since Sept. 17 of last season."

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not really. We managed to avoid 100-degree days last year.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If we get a 100 degree day on the Cape, it's REALLY gonna be hot where you live Batman.

Batman likes this.
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

We hit the upper 90s on Saturday for our hottest day of the year so far … and of course, there was a state all-star football game played here that afternoon! (@Batman)

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

We have rain! It's the first in about a month or more.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Is the weather always drunk up there this time of year?
    We went to Boston a few weeks ago. Forecast said it'd be in the mid-70s all week, so I only had one extra pair of shorts. Then it got humid. Two days were in the 80s. I had to go to TJ Maxx and buy three pairs of shorts just to survive the week.
    One day, thick fog rolled in out of nowhere*; another day was supposed to be a washout but apparently Moses was in town and he parted it right as it got to the city. Stayed dry all day (not that I'm complaining about that, but it was just bizarre that several waves of rain broke up on the outskirts).
    Now you're knocking on the door of 100. What the hell is going on up there?

*The fog was awesome to see. We were over by the harbor, looked up and back toward the city, and it was already obscuring the top of buildings even though it was still sunny out and completely clear at street level. It was like the smoke monster from Lost was descending on the city. Later that evening we couldn't even see one or two of the taller buildings although, again, it was completely clear below about 150 feet. That was cool.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Our weather is famously notional. Cape Cod never sees 100 because we're a sand spit in the Atlantic, but close to 100 happens at least a few days every summer in the Boston area. So do blizzards, nor'easters, floods, the occasional tornado, and month upon month of gray skies and temperatures barely above freezing, Game of Thrones weather. On the other hand, today was 80 with plenty of sunshine and low humidity. From May through Halloween we get a lot of perfect weather besides occasional shit. The other months, we get occasional nice weather and typical (but varied!!) shit.

Driftwood and Batman like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm tired of hundred degree days and it isn't even July yet. o_O

Driftwood likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I had to shower after watering the tomatoes and peppers tonight thanks to a 103 heat index at 7 pm.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I think it rained briefly here in Northern-ish Virginia overnight on Monday, but otherwise I was wondering, "how many babies are alive today who have never seen rain, because it hasn't rained in a month."

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Bad time of year to grow cucumbers, watermelons and squash. They need 3x the water that most other plants do.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

75 degrees with 94% humidity at 5:30 a.m., a half hour before sunrise.
    That's miserable.

Draft saved Draft deleted