1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

There are some guys you watch a couple at-bats and instantly know they can hit. I’m just a drive-by Cleveland fan, but just watching him in one game and that guy can hit.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe the Orioles will play him consistently this time rather than giving him four or five at-bats per week.

Hermes likes this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was working a 14-hour day at our Amateur so I couldn't watch last night ... I don't think they bring Hjerstad back up to sit him. Cowser has fallen off hard after a great start. Hjerstad will have opportunities. First four-game skid in some time for Baltimore. Every team goes through adversity at some point, so no real panic here. Plus Cleveland is good.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought they would play Hjersted when they called him up in April, but he only appeared in seven of 16 games from April 23 through May 11. Three of those were as a pinch hitter. He didn't do much, but it was a lot to ask a rookie to produce while playing so sparingly.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And the longest hitting streak of the season goes to ... Bryan Reynolds, 21 games.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Loss or not, I was just so glad to see that Kjerstad at-bat in the eighth. More than either one of his hits. Masterful at-bat. He wasted pitches in every quadrant of the zone.

It was the type of at-bat we might remember as a turning point a few months from now.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

As soon as I read "forearm tightness" Friday night, I knew where this was headed.

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

He's actually in a tie with Anthony Volpe and Ketel Marte. Typical fucking SJ/media bullshit, allowing a Pirates player to overshadow a player from the Yankees and a player from the defending NL champs! :D

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Anyone else confuse Nick Castellanos with JD Martinez? I don't confuse them physically, just their abilities. They seem like twinsies but I think Martinez is a bit better hitter and a bit older right?

UPChip and maumann like this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

They're two guys the Tigers dumped for less than nothing in order to put together nine consecutive losing seasons (about to be 10). They kept moving Castellanos all over the diamond -- he's actually become a decent RF -- and then traded him to the Cubs in his walk year instead of keeping him as a veteran they could have possibly built a team around.

He's making $20M a year with the Phillies, or $5M less than the Tigers are paying the carcass of "stick a fork in him" Javy Baez.

Then there's Candelario, another 3B guy they let walk.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    UPChip likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted