1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You misspelled "air fryer."

2muchcoffeeman and TigerVols like this.
  2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My quick back-of-the envelope calculation shows $30.

Patties
    Fries
    6-pack of Coke
    Ketchup
    Ice Cream
    Watermelon

Attached Files:

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Wow. Had not priced watermelon at the grocery store. Just checked online and it's $7.98 for a seedless, so barely cheaper than up north. We can get them for $2 from the farmer's market on Sunday, or free if one falls off the truck on the way here.

The thing that amazes me is the price of iceberg lettuce. It's been stuck above $2 a head for years, no matter whether it's from California, Mexico, Chile, grown during a drought or in the middle of a flood. And no better value in California when we checked at Safeway last summer.

Good thing I don't eat salads.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Lettuce is worth paying for. Well, maybe not iceberg.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seedless watermelon!?! Heathen!!!

swingline likes this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Pizza Hut is closing 15 locations. In Indiana. Hooters is closing 41 locations, in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.

Bet you won't hear that on FOX news.

Inky_Wretch and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Funny how that works.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I am not sure how much the company still does it. But when I was going to school they were taking back franchises.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I’ve been to a few Hooters. The women aren’t as hot as you’d expect, and the food is inedible. Fake flirting is out.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We only eat out for really nice meals (with pizza being the exception b/c. ... it's pizza. ... and even that is only once or twice a month). Convenience isn't really part of the calculation as much as wanting to have complete control over the ingredients that go into most of what we're eating.

We have no time to cook during the week. So it requires some sacrifice. Lunch is our big meal for the day, dinner is light. We prepare meals for the entire week on the weekend. Which means we have gotten used to eating the same exact thing for lunch every day for the week. and often eating a quick thrown together salad for dinner. Like this week, I am eating a black rice salad every day for lunch. We prepared a mountain of it over the weekend. I don't think most people would want to do this, but it works for us. We don't skimp on food, we buy good produce (which is 90 percent of what we eat) and good ingredients for things. But there is no doubt we spend less on food than the typical NYer who is doing Grubhub every night and eating shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted