1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2024 running motorsports thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 3, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I mean, there was technically a crash but even if you have someone 50 years younger in the seat, I don’t see how else he would solve for “car goes boom.”

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I don't know if it would make much difference. Any time you have a crash in straight line racing, it's almost always some kind of glancing blow. The biggest innovations they've done to the tracks is after Blaine Johnson was killed they removed the turnouts and when Scott Kalitta was killed they shortened the fuel categories to 1,000 feet (which I still don't like).

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

He or she wouldn't. But a 25-year-old has a better chance at recovery from a serious crash than a 75-year-old.

maumann likes this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

I hear you - need to preface this before you or others get the wrong impression - but John Force is likely the sort who wants to call his own shot and not have someone - not his daughters, sponsors, the NHRA or anyone else - call it for him. Also, some folks that age fear irrelevance more than anything else - including death.

Please believe me as I have a relative who I believe is still overly concerned about these sorts of issues.

FWIW, I don't want to see Force - or anyone else - get hurt, particularly because they hung on too long.

2muchcoffeeman, Driftwood and maumann like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Even by the standards of PR puffery, that subhed is wildly incongruent.

Driftwood likes this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

It's entirely possible they don't know the extent of anything.

While nebulous is sometimes blatant, it's also sometimes "we really don't know."

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You misspelled "wildly overoptimistic."

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was covering NHRA when my oldest was a toddler (now in college, sigh) and bought a pink tot-sized t-shirt at a race that had a Top Fuel dragster and said "Quarter-Mile Cutie." We find it in an old clothes bin in the attic every now and then and I tell my family why it's truly a vintage shirt (which at this point I'm sure they're sick of hearing).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    Liut and Driftwood like this.
  9. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

The subhead refers to the other team (and family) members, not Force himself.

10. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Subhead seems to be referring to the team, not the driver. Still weird though.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Just like Force never forgets to mention a sponsor in an interview, the team has to say they're still racing in a release about the patriarch's health. Very weird.

maumann likes this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Nobody is saying much about Force the last couple of days other than he's still in ICU.

Draft saved Draft deleted