1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2024 running motorsports thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 3, 2024.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was a shot of him getting loaded into an ambulance last weekend, right? If I recall, you could see his face and he was sitting up and didn't have any visible cuts or bandages. Reckless speculation, but I wonder if maybe the injuries are in his lower extremities, though I don't know why one would be in ICU for that.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yes he was alert. There's no doubt a bad concussion is part of it. I don't see how there couldn't be.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's pretty obvious. Duh to me for not thinking of that.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'm just spitballing, but even with the helmet and mask, a 75-year-old man could have taken in a lot of smoke and fumes during the time the car was on fire and he was strapped in the cockpit. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been on oxygen to help his lungs. Even Ryan Newman needed help breathing after his scary Daytona 500 crash.

playthrough and Driftwood like this.
  5. Driftwood

As Funny Car legend John Force remains in intensive care, doctors are focusing their efforts on the head injury he suffered over the weekend in a fiery high-speed crash at the NHRA Virginia Nationals.
    Force has been moved from the trauma intensive care unit to the neuro intensive care unit, according to NHRA.com – a move seen as a positive step for the 16-time champion and his family.
    Daughter Brittany Force, who has remained at the Richmond-area hospital along with other family members since Sunday's crash, has decided not to compete this week at the Summit Racing Equipment Nationals in Norwalk, Ohio.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yeah, saw that release last night. That's got to be his last run. Hope he heals quickly.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Apparently Force does have a Traumatic Brian Injury and was heavily sedated and out of if for five days. He has regained consciousness and is responding to commands. They've had to put restraints on him to keep him in bed.

Liut likes this.
  8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Anyone know if Tim Wilkerson is still running Funny Car?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Get ready for rain at NashVegas.

10. Driftwood

I think he's turned over the driving duties to his son.

Liut likes this.
  11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks. Met him years and years ago. In fact, I think he had just moved up to the top level of NHRA.
    He was struggling to get sponsors.
    Anyway, that was just prior to covering my first NHRA event. Man, did I get my eyes and ears opened in more ways than one!

Driftwood likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I very much doubt that he races again. In a TBI case of any severity it typically takes two years before the victim heals enough to determine what long term deficits they have.

franticscribe and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted