1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 2, 2024.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

For us old people, there's only one acceptable "Pitiful" meme.

[​IMG]

franticscribe and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

One of the D1Baseball writers is saying that Texas players knew he was coming before the CWS.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Who was the reporter that asked the pointed question in the post-game presser? He needs to be at the intro presser and open with, "is there anything else you'd like to add?"

Chef2, Liut and HanSenSE like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Richard Zane, TexAgs.com. So probably not getting a credential down on the Forty Acres.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

They had to know. No deal of that magnitude gets done overnight.

And now it's pretty obvious why Texas waited so long to fire the other coach, they didn't want to have to deal with three weeks of questions about the coaching vacancy.

Having been through a situation here where the head coach (in this case football) had one foot out the door for the final month of the season, it really makes you question their dedication and commitment to their current job.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It's true that no deal of that magnitude gets done overnight. But I have a hard time believing the D1baseball.com report that the entire Longhorn team knew this was coming and kept a lid on it for more than a week. Seems highly unlikely to me that the team knew. I have zero doubt that the deal was done before Omaha.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

College athletics are a mess, but coaches have always done crap like this. It's where you can't totally care about the lax transfer rules now, not to even mention NIL. A coach is out the door before the CWS even starts? And then the team plays until the championship game? Screw that noise.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I get your overall point - but I can't remember a coach getting to a title game and then jumping to his school's bitterest rival less than 24 hours later.

maumann likes this.
  11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

No, that's a special kind of special. But having deals done before seasons, postseasons end definitely not a unique thing.

I don't even understand Texas. There was a time it was a pretty big deal in the baseball world but is it still? You went to the title game for goodness sakes. Guessing money rules all, and I do get the name in that state is pretty big. Maybe he's just trying to coach at all the Texas schools.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2024
    maumann likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted